cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Life after school: Uni/TAFE

For this week's Getting Real session, moderator @m-y93 gives us the low down on life after school.

"It took me nearly 2 hours, 2 trains and a bus and I was finally there. I was nervous, scared. But also excited. It was the first day that shaped the rest of my life. It was time that I did what I enjoyed, to work hard to become the professional I wanted. I knew no one there, I felt alone. It was my first day of Uni.

If only I could go back to that morning and tell myself that by the end of that day I will have gained not only friends but also determination to grow to become the best I can. I’m well into my degree now and after over 3 months of holidaying it’s time to snap back to reality…

Whether you are going back to Uni/TAFE or starting fresh, it can be a very different experience for everyone.  For many of us it can mean a lot of coffee, late nights and last minute cramming.  It can be a very stressful time but it can also be a few years of awesome. One thing is for sure, returning back to study after the summer holidays can be a bit of a shock to the system and getting back into routine can be difficult.

If you haven’t been to Uni or TAFE before, it can be a very nerve racking experience. You have to learn your way around, make new friends and on top of that maintain your workload. It can seem very demanding but once you have settled in I assure you that life after school brings you the independence we all crave. You officially become an adult and you become your own person. You’re in control of your life, you are steering the wheel in the direction you want.

We want to hear from you even if you have finished or stopped studying at Uni/TAFE because you’ve probably got some great experiences to share that might help someone else who is just starting out!

So whether you you’ve never been to Uni/TAFE, are starting out, are part way through or finished altogether – we want to hear from you on Monday 3rd March 2014! We’ll be putting together a survival toolkit to do your best. Join us on Monday at 8pm AEST!"

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Life after school: Uni/TAFE

Good evening everybody!

Welcome to tonight’s Getting Real sesh!! @m-y93 , Sophie and I will be co-facilitating tonight and we are talking all about going back to uni/school!

Whether you’ve already returned/arrived or are preparing to do so, it can a huge mix of emotions; excitement, nervousness, pressure or happiness. Whatever the emotion, it’s always good to have a bundle of tips and tricks to get you through the stressful times and enjoying your time at uni/school!

Get keen, it’s going to be a rad night, looking forward to hearing all the great things you will all share!

As we want this session to run smoothly and safe for everyone please ensure to abide by the forum guidelines, If you feel upset or uncomfortable by any of the material there is an emergency help tab in the top right hand corner.

To get us started tonight:

What is your current studying status? Are you a new student or going back to uni/TAFE? Or have you finished/stopped?

What is your current studying status? Are you a new student or going back to uni/TAFE? Or have you finished/stopped?

Hey guys welcome to tonights GR session! I'm actually going back to uni tomorrow after the summer break. I'm completing my final semester in my undergrad degree. i'm pretty excited to be going back to uni, I really missed it Smiley Happy

@dreamcatcher wrote:

Heya @dreamcatcher and @m-y93 and everyone else! I finished uni 13 years ago and TAFE 6 years ago... But I'm excited to hear what you guys have to share with eachother about making life after school a bit easier!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

I'm in my third year of Primary Education and studying externally. A year to go for me!

Welcome @Learn-to-fly !! One year left? I'm jealous! I still have at least two more!

Hey there learntofly!! Wow that's awesome - do you think this year could be a stressy one?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hello everyone! Smiley Happy

I changed my degree this year and I'm studying Psychology Smiley Happy

I have no doubt this year is going to be stressful. I'll be studying through summer semester again and expect my units to get more demanding. As well as completing two pracs.

Hi guys! Looking forward to a good chat Smiley Happy

I'm currently a continuing full time student in my final year of study at uni and a continuing TAFE student (am doing my course by flex).