cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Life after school: Uni/TAFE

@delicatedreamer wrote:

@dreamcatcher wrote:

Sophie: I had a teacher tell me not to even waste my time with uni. Well! I sure showed her. BAM! 

Go dreamcatcher!! That's great Smiley Happy.

GO US! WE SHOWED THEM!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

WOOOO GGOOO TEAM.. nowwww

How can study impact your mental health? And what can you do to improve your mental health during your studying years?

Highlighted

Jumping back in guys, I got distracted with dinner Smiley Happy

How can study impact your mental health? And what can you do to improve your mental health during your studying years?

I find studying has often influenced my mental health negatively. Studying requires lots of time, I find time management is crucial to keeping on top of things. It is also important to take time out every now and again. Quite often during term I look ahead to see where my assignment due dates lull or look forward to holidays and thinking/working ahead to these points keep me sane. 

Depending on what time of the year is, if you have a part-time/casual job, how much assessment there and what's been going on in your life like fun, friends and family, it can get pretty tiring and you may feel less than upbeat. You could be feeling stressed and start rushing to get everything done or you could be totally apathetic and decide to do nothing. I think that seeking out student services on campus and asking your faculty/school what they can do to help you is one of the steps that you can take to improve your mental health. There are lifestyle habits that you could change - eat healthy, get some time and exercise too. Hanging out with your friends or watching a tv marathon is alright every once in a while too. Doing any kind of study is stressful and it can be struggle when you don't know where to turn or you just don't know where to start because everything is everywhere. So, there's also really knowing yourself and how you're feeling to start improving your mental wellness.

Totally agree with the points guys... making sure you have some me time where you do nothing and are just able to watch TV or virtually do nothing is very important mentally. It allows you to have a break from studying and rejuvenate because there is no point of studying whilst you are distracted or not concentrating nothing sinks through that way. 

Yay, go team RO!! Smiley Very Happy

For me it has caused a lot of anxiety (around the workload, expectations, grades, all of the new and unknown things about uni [such as getting around campus, placements etc.]). To improve my mental health I always make sure that I speak up about any difficulties I'm having or things that are worrying me, having external supports in place (family, helplines, psychologist), make time to spend time with friends and engage in hobbies to help me relax and unwind, using coping strategies like writing things down and mindfulness and being organised.

@Learn-to-fly + @Myvo  Excellent responses guys!!!!!

And what can you do to improve your mental health during your studying years?

• exercise
  • eat healthy (majority of the time)
  • Don't go crazy on the booze
  • Keep on top of all your work
  • seek help when it does get too much
  • Find a balance between study, social and 'me time' (me time is like watch a movie, chill out, read a book.... look after you!)

Awesome points you guys... Now we all just have to remember to put this stuff into place when we need it!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Sophie-RO wrote:
Awesome points you guys... Now we all just have to remember to put this stuff into place when we need it!

Haha yeah that is the tricky part Soph!

Next question: What study tips can you share to help make studying abit more bearable?