cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Life hacks for coping with tough times

j95 - pets are good too. We actually had a getting real session about that a month or so ago - big discussion about pets! If you get a chance you should check it out Smiley Happy

florence - ice cream always helps! but yea, it takes a while, but it's worth it in the end. I mean, you're obviously feeling so much better now than you did back then-  and even if that isn't the case 100% of the time, it's a big improvement Smiley Happy 

GREAT advice @delicatedreamer so good that you are using the services that are there. its great because they are all free too!

Ok next question!

What are some of the major consequences that stress and anxiety can have on our mental health? How can we take care of ourselves when things become too much?

It definitely is @Magga  Smiley Happy

@SJG  - thanks for the advice re Uni. I think I should look into some of the services available at my uni. It would probably ease my stress levels a little!

Highlighted

Things were becoming a bit too much for me this week so i booked in to see my psychologist, made myself get out in the sun and im planning a trip to my parents house soon Smiley Happy I think its really important when struggling with mental health to remember your physical health, eating healthy and exercising can make you feel so much better! mentally and physically

For me:

- Panic attacks

- Depression

- Big increase, or big decrease in eating

- Relationship problems with family and friends when I can't express how I'm feeling

- Lack of motivation

- Sometimes results in a complete crash to my system

Taking care of myself:

- Talk to people. My GP, my psychologist, my KHL counsellor

- Re-evaluate what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. And whether it is worth the stress it is causing me

- Ask for help. Whether it be from uni, my parents, friends, etc.

- Look after myself even more than usual.

I think when things don't go as planned is when it can get hard. People like me have had our life planned out since we were 12 years old, and when things go wrong, it can be hard to accept your situation, let alone tell everyone else who asks. For my example, I haven't gone to the uni I wanted to, have dropped out of the one I did, and am very, very broke. The hardest part is talking to people who have such high expectations for you and telling them that it isn't working out, and you feel like you've let them down. The upside is that I have an amazing job (the one I was at uni to get anyway), and I just need my friends to remind me that just because things don't go as planned doesn't mean that you've failed: sometimes something better comes along. I'm lucky because my best friend is one of those amazing people that makes you feel better just with her presence, so when life gets tough I head over to hers, her mum cooks comfort food and we watch girly movies and binge on junk food. Sometimes all you need to feel better is a friend (or two) who truly knows you and to just chill out and have a break from the stress and troubles, and figure out how to face them when you're in a safe, stress-free environment.

Stress can be so bad for mental health - it can lead to depression, anxiety, anger issues, as well as physical symptoms (I'm sure we've all experienced headaches from excess stress...). I think it's good to take time to be alone and relax (read, write, play xbox...) as well as spend time with friends and get out of the house for a bit. You need a balance! 

I definitely agree with you @SJG . I've been making myself get out into the sun as well. I'm feeling a little overloaded, so I've also booked an appt with my psychologist. I write down things that I need to remember to do and stick big posters of them up on my walls in my room. ie - "Go for a walk" "Call a friend" "Eat three cooked meals today".

I just forget to do these things sometimes, especially when I'm stressed. I also panic that I can't think of something to do that will make me feel better when I'm in one of these situations. Seeing these signs reminds me to do something

What are some of the major consequences that stress and anxiety can have on our mental health? How can we take care of ourselves when things become too much?

- Low self-esteem

- Low mood

- Avoiding things (e.g. uni)

- Low motivation

- Being irritable with others and not wanting to spend time with people

- Panic attacks

- Development of a mental health condition if it is sustained over a long period.

I like to talk it out as a self care strategy when I get overwhelmed (e.g. with family, friends or my psychologist). I also like listening to music, taking a drive to the beach, taking a bath, scheduling regular leisure time for myself, and mindfulness. Re-adjusting how much work I am taking on also helps, but I don't always remember to do it!