cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Life hacks for coping with tough times

Well it's a good thing you enjoy it Smiley Happy I suppose that makes it a little bit more worthwhile. 

Haha nice, mums can be good for that sort of thing! I don't talk to my mum about much, but when I do she seems to always have good advice.

Hi everyone Smiley Happy

Think of a time when you made it through a tough situation. What happened? How did you cope?

I went through almost the exact same scenario as you, @florenceforever (diagnosis of panic disorder and social phobia + failing some subjects) and handled it in almost the exact same way (swapping the Asian holiday for a trip to Sydney with my family Smiley Tongue). Glad to hear you are doing better now. I found having to adjust my uni plan because of this challenging also.

A challenging situation that happened for me recently was a uni placement during which I experienced high levels of anxiety and difficulty leaving the house. Strategies I used to cope were:

- Trying to control and manage my workload as best I could (e.g. I bought a laptop because it would help me get my work done faster, planning and making to do lists also helped).

- Listening to music during breaks as a relaxation.

- Having debriefing chats with my placemeny peers.

- Increasing my psychologist visits

- Talking about where I was at, and management strategies with the placement coordinator.

Thanks for coming dd! Seems like it'd be pretty tough to deal with placement when you're going through anxiety. I think you did the best thing you could for yourself though, so good on you for that Smiley Happy do you think it helped?

Hey @delicatedreamer !! Glad to see you here Smiley Happy you have some really goo strategies for dealing with anxiety, having it myself i know it can be hard to make yourself do things to help. I learnt a great strategy from my psychologist recently... You allocate yourself about 15-20 minutes a day to think about the things that are bothering you/making you sad/anxious and only let yourself think about them during that time. Its kind of hard but it does help!!

@SJG - I've just learnt that too! I've found it really effective. It's my anxiety time. Sometimes I get to that time of the day and realise that there's not even much I'm anxious about! Which is a really great feeling as sometimes I used to just always think I felt anxious.

It definitely did help @Magga. The first 3 or 4 weeks were really tough for me but things evened out a lot once I accepted that things were getting out of hand and implemented some anxiety management strategies.

@SJG That sounds like a really good strategy! I should try that... I bet it would be hard though!

thats so good!!! @florenceforever !! i can imagine that would feel amazing Smiley Happy im hoping ill be like that after exams!

Yes same! I would love to be completely uni related anxiety free! @SJG  - ahhh they're coming up soon, as well as end of year assignments! But we'll get through Smiley Happy 

On the topic of coping stretegies...

When going through tough times, we tend to get a bit stressed, upset, angry, or anxious. What kinds of techniques can we use to deal with these emotions?

We sure will Smiley Happy @florenceforever we will smash those exams!