cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Life hacks for coping with tough times

hahaha @florenceforever i love the first one!!! you are correct avo is the best

thanks @SJG 

I usually pack her stuff up and make sure she goes to bed, otherwise it probably wouldnt happen haha

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

How can we recognise when other people (friends, family) are going through tough times? How might we help?

I notice it when I see them doing behaviours that I do when I'm like that.

ie. not attending uni, handing in assignments late (although I've never actually done this), eating too much or too little, going out drinking lots (again, I don't do this). I ask them if there's anything they want to talk about and also refer them on to services, like KHL and Headspace, who have really helped me in the past. I've been to Headspace with mutiple friends and sat with them at their first sessions. I let them know they are not alone. That I am here to support them and that I've been through what they're going through.

I see that my brother and sister often stay in bed all day every day and miss school. Which for me is a big warning sign if they do it for mutiple days in a row. I let my parents know as they are really busy and sometimes don't notice.

That's awesome j95, so good of you to help her out! Smiley Happy

@Magga wrote:

Awesome suggestions guys! You all seem pretty self-aware, and you've got these coping mechanisms pretty much mastered. Nice!

Let's move onto the next question: How can we recognise when other people (friends, family) are going through tough times? How might we help?

I generally notice if they are more quiet/withdrawn than usual, talk a lot about something that is upsetting them, have a mood change (e.g. are more easily upset/irritated), and don't want to hang out much.

I think the approach that works best for me is just listening, and letting them know that I'm there if they need anything. Trying to do something to ease their stress is also a good strategy I find (e.g. taking some work off their hands if I can).

Very observant @florenceforever youre a good sibling Smiley Happy I think withdrawal from social groups is a big one. Also avoiding the problems by getting drunk all the time or substance abuse.. This has happened for a few friends of mine, i just let them know i am noticing a change in them and am worried about their health. usually they know there is an issue and just need someone else to notice to do something about it

florence, you're right - it's a lot easier to see the signs if you've been through the same things yourself. If I ever saw a friend of family member doing anything suspicious that I know I've done myself, I'd definitely bring it up. 

You sound like a good friend Smiley Happy @delicatedreamer

Sometimes it's hard to tell with other people, but changes in mood from down, to sensitive, argumentative, antisocial.  The best thing I think you can do is to let them know that you're there for them, (if it's particularly bad entice them out of their solitude/moods with promises of food goodies etc.) be emotionally available and aware, and make sure they have some form of support (even if it isn't you).  

Yeah it's happening to one of my closest friends right now @SJG . She's attempted and dropped out of the last three semesters of uni - all after census date. She is getting drunk regularly and me and my friends often have to look after her. It's really hard to deal with actually, because she is always messaging me with her problems and yet refuses to get any help. She's struggling with an eating disorder and her parents are threatening to kick her out of home.

It's been a bit of an emotional drain for me unfortunately