cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Liptember: Women’s Mental Health

[CHAT] Liptember: Women’s Mental Health

If you don't have time to read the whole chat, then don't forget to check out @Myvo's awesome summary on the last page!  

Getting Real: Monday 31 Aug
Liptember: Women’s Mental Health

“Calm down, woman.”
“Stop being so hysterical.”

Not Happy Jan.jpg
I think that seeing these comments as troublesome doesn’t make you ‘hysterical’. We have all heard these– at school, work, uni, or social hangouts. We might have even said them ourselves- oops. They can really hit our mental health!

Despite this, there’s something awesome coming our way!

Cinabun.jpg

Have you ever thought about wearing your favourite lipstick every day for a month to rally behind and raise a worthwhile cause? Liptember is a national fundraising campaign launched each year that lets you do just that!

giphy.gif

All your funds go directly to the ever amazing Lifeline and the Centre for Women’s Mental Health at the Royal Women’s Hospital in Melbourne, Victoria. These funds go towards expanding and improving better mental health services for women by opening up more phone lines and counselling services, training new staff, and finding out what works, and what doesn’t.

Women’s mental health is important because women are people. And as people, we’re all different with different stories to share – but we can’t do that without funding and the support of many. 

Are you going to wearing a bit of Lippy next month? Will you be donating?

What’s the most important thing that we can do to change the face of Women’s Mental Health and how will you help make it happen?

Remember, if anyone tells you that you’re hysterical – give ‘em lip.

***Join us on Monday 31 August at 8pm (AEST) to chat about women’s mental health, why it is important, and what you can do to support it!***  

In the mean time go check out Liptember and see what it's all about! 

https://www.liptember.com.au/  

Re: [CHAT] Liptember: Women’s Mental Health

Hey everyone, welcome to tonight’s GR Session, with myself and the excellent @Myvo! The topic for tonight is: Women’s mental health, and Liptember, an initiative which aims to raise awareness and funds for this important cause. For more information, check out https://www.liptember.com.au/

While this session is about women’s mental health, don’t worry if you aren’t a woman – feel free to listen and join in on the discussion. Before you do though, make sure to check out our community guidelines and keep them in mind. If at any point things get too intense for you and you need extra support, please take a look at the emergency help resources.

Enough intro: let’s get into it!!

Have you ever encountered a female stereotype about mental health? How did you react to it?

Hey everyone! 

Awesome to chat about women's mental health, as it's a topic that I'm (and many of you) are passionate about! Heart

Have you ever encountered a female stereotype about mental health? How did you react to it?
Plenty of them. It's gross and terrible that so many of them exist. Smiley Mad In the past - when I was younger - I'd react rather angrily in response, which would just be met with 'it's just a joke' or 'haha, looks like it's true!'

@Myvo that response is so infuriating! Acting like it isn't a huge deal, when it really is. I used to stay quiet since I tried to avoid the 'crazy woman' stereotype, but now I know it's all bs

@safari93 Or you end up glaring at them in silence and hopefully, they can feel how very wrong they are. If at all. 

@Myvo well sometimes you hear something so ridiculous and offensive that you can't do anything except glower furiously. I've also seen the more indirect responses, where people roll their eyes at you or dismiss you completely because you happened to be ~emotional~ while making a point

Hey @safari93 @Myvo

Yep! Lots of stereotypes, probably the biggest one that i encountered was around what types of mental health issues and symptoms women experienced. I had a friend who experienced a lot of anger and frustration, eventually she saw a psychologist who helped her understand this was coming from clinical depression. It took a lot longer than it should have to get that diagnosis and some good support. We both think that probably had a lot to do with some not very good assumptions the GP made when she asked for help. 

@Ben-RO woow, I can imagine that no-one would expect a woman with depression to be frustrated all the time. We only really get a few different representations of depression, and for women it mostly seems like crying and maybe a substance abuse issue

@safari93 Or even victim blaming, which is also really damaging to how it portrays women's mental health. 

@Myvo true!! Victim blaming in any context is difficult for people to deal with, but with mental health it's just piling another issue on top of one that's already there