cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Love your own company

Do you like yourself? Do you embrace who you are, or do you feel trapped as someone that you would rather not be? Are you able to enjoy your own company?

I once read that ‘the man who loves himself has a lifelong relationship’.  Yes, that does sound a little absurd and, personally, I’m hoping to one day form a long lasting relationship with someone other than myself!  [Note to self: Does that mean I’m cheating?]  However, I think that phrase does highlight some important truths. 

You are going to be with yourself for the rest of your life!  Hence, learning to enjoy your own company would be very beneficial!  Its impact is all-encompassing – whether alone or in a large social group, if you enjoy your own company you will feel more confident; assured of yourself, your behaviours and opinions; and you will experience greater fulfilment and enjoyment in life. 

In my opinion, being able to laugh at yourself is a huge key to all of this.  For me, this is almost an everyday occurrence! [I like to think this is due to a combination of being quietly confident in myself and also being hilarious; but in all likelihood it is probably due to other, less-flattering reasons…] 

A more potent example happened on New Year’s Eve.  I was with my best-mate of 16 years and we gate crashed a celebration at which we only had one other friend.  No one seemed to mind, so we hit the d-floor, showing off our best moves and attempting to impress the onlookers with our limber manoeuvres and superior sense of rhythm.  It must have worked – marvelling at my prowess, I met a really nice girl!  We sat down and started to talk; it seemed we both had similar interests and got along pretty well! We decided to catch up again a bit later, so we both reconvened with our friend groups – hers sitting in the house and mine outside, channelling our inner Up-Town Funk.  Later that night, I saw her sitting inside and she waved for me to come in.  Feeling good about myself, I started to walk towards her.  What I did not see or recognize was that, what I had assumed to be an open walk way, was actually an uber-clean sliding glass door! DONK! Walked straight into it with all the confidence of a peacock doing a mating display.  Everyone saw, everyone laughed, but no one laughed as hard as I did.  Universal righteousness had rightly brought me back to Earth.  As it turned out, the girl I was talking to did not find it quite as funny as I did and did not want to be seen with a man whose forehead had the shape of a grassy knoll.   Oh well.  So I returned to the dance floor and continued to have a fun time.  This did not ruin my night, in fact it made it much better! As I find joy in myself and some of my little mishaps, I marvelled at how funny life can be and ushered in 2015 in what seemed to be the most appropriate way. 

So there you have it.  It is time to look in the mirror and shake hands, embrace who you are and befriend yourself! 

If you want to know more about how to enjoy your own company, or have tips, stories, opinions, or anything else on the topic you wish to share, then we would love to hear from you! Join us on Monday, 16th February, 8pm AEST, to talk about the benefits of being able to embrace and find enjoyment in who you are!

Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] Love your own company

Hello and WELCOME everyone!

For tonight’s Getting Real session we are talking about how to be ok in your own company, why its important and how can we learn to be ok with it!! Should be good one 

Tonight, our chat will be moderated by @tsnyder and myself. We’d like to remind you to take a look at, and abide by the community guidelines too – just so we can keep this safe and awesome as possible. But, if at anytime, you feel that you need to talk, please check out emergency help

First question for the night is:

Why are some people uncomfortable spending time in their own company?

Hi @EloiseRose !

Really excited to talk about some of these topics!

I think being alone has been really demonized recently - perhaps some people avoid it due to social expectations and not wanting to feel or be perceived as a 'loner'?

Hiiiiii

I think growing up we are always with people. During the first several years of our lives we are looked after and never alone. I guess after 12-15 years of always being with someone, it's odd to actually have time alone. It can feel scary and daunting. You don't have anyone to lean on. You might feel embarrassed or lonely that you don't have anyone with you.

I think one reason is that sometimes people think if they are alone now they will be alone forever instead of just enjoying the quiet time they have to themselves. Also i think there is a social expectations to constantly be doing something "cool" or "social".

Hello everyone, this is my first forum chat so be nice to me haha, but for me I find it difficult to be who I am at the moment because whilst my friends and family love and support me for me I feel like deep down I still can't be who I am... I'm scared people will reject the craziness that comes with me so I act like someone that I'm not.. And sometimes it's not a bad thing, I like being quiet from time to time but there's a whole lot of fun that's ready to burst out... I just want people to accept me for me

I know that personally I used to hate spending time alone with myself because I didn't like being alone with my own thoughts. I found thats when the most self hate started

Hey everyone!

There are so many reasons why people feel so uncomfortable in their own company. There's people who are so extroverted and just love being around people, that it gets awkward when they're alone. There's people who are a tad socially awkward (like myself) and that gets awkward because you have no idea what to do with yourself. And there's people who may just be feeling really lonely Smiley Sad Some may assume that getting into a relationship or hanging around with another person for the sake of not being lonely fills the void. 

Welcome @Zac Crow Smiley Happy

I hope you enjoy your first Getting Real chat!

@florenceforever Welcome!!!!
It can be so scary and daunting. its so true up until 14/15 we can't be alone cause it might be unsafe so we have babysitters or are in care or have siblings. So as soon as we are alone... its weird! and quiet