cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] Love your own company

Why are some people uncomfortable spending time in their own company?

Hi guys...it's been a while, thought I would pop in a bit...I'm here but not. Smiley Tongue

I get uncomfortable when I start feeling lonely...spiral downwards of negative thinking and being 'forever alone'.

I know I feel alone when I haven't connected with somebody, I'll be with them but the connection isn't there, it feels like it's you and a stranger
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Hey @_sagira_  Smiley Happy

nice to see you again!

The difference between being alone, lonely and in your own company?

It's so tricky. I think being alone is literally being alone (possibly not up to you?)
Lonely is craving connections with people, even if you are physically in the presence of someone

In your own company - choosing to spend time by yourself.

Definitely one of the trickiest answers I've answered on a Getting Real sesh

the difference between being alone, lonely and in your own company?

Maybe this is where we are all going with what we were just saying ? about being in crowds and still feeling alone?

if we really unpack this i reckon own company is when you are content by yourself, being alone is when you are by yourself about maybe not comfortable with it, and lonely is when you are in a crowd or alone and really not comfortable.... thoughts?

@Student94  I am super super close with my family (which helps) - but I also try and find the humor in really large social events.  Sometimes when you step back and have a look at what people are really doing, it can be hilarious

Ok, so what about people's thoughts on the difference between being alone, lonely and in your own company?

I read that being alone and seeing it as an unpleasant experience constitutes as loneliness while being alone and enjoying it is called solitude. I guess it all comes down to how you perceive your time alone.

@florenceforever
I'm glad we are challenging you to think deeper and maybe enlighten yourself at the same time :-)

@tsnyder wrote:

@delicatedreamer  that's a really good point! However, I have a different view point.  Sometimes I'll hang out with a large group of people and feel alone -- I think it's about find that true connection with someone, rather than just surface fluff, that keeps us feeling like we aren't alone.  Does that make any sense?

Yeah that's kind of what I meant @tsnyder Like I can be at uni with a group of people in class and even though I know them, I feel lonely because I'm not really close with them and I'm not really properly engaged with them, which is kind of like what you mean I think? Is that right?

Ok, so what about people's thoughts on the difference between being alone, lonely and in your own company?

I get lonely when I am alone...but I didn't choose to be alone. Like when my housemates are all out, or I'm at home with family and they all go out.

It's definitely making me think @EloiseRose!

Which is never a bad thing Smiley Happy