cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Love your own company

@florenceforever wrote:

@tsnyder 

Not sure if this is the track you were going down but I think I have. I played tennis nationally, I traveled all around Australia playing until I was 15 - and was really quite good. Then I injured my wrist so badly that it will never recover properly. After it happened, I felt SO alone. I couldn't play tennis anymore It was like I had lost my identity

I completely relate to this. I didn't know who I was anymore, I pretty much dissociated for the whole year, don't even know what I did from day to day. Saw no one except my physio and health professionals for a year. My whole life changed. I didn't know who I was, and lost all sense of purpose. But..yeah I'm much better off now.

That's okay @stonepixie!

Lovely to see you, great answers Smiley Happy 

Ok, next question people

What are some of the advantages/ positives of your own company, and how can you achieve this by yourself?

@florenceforever i can sort of relate 

I travel for gigs quite a bit, and even with my closest friends doing what I love, being away from home can make me feel lonely. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Not really, @EloiseRose The kitchen was a mess, which was stressing me a bit, but easy to ignore, but then I found out that my mail redirection isn't working and had to order a new transport card, which just pushed me over tipping point. So to bring myself back, I cleaned up the kitchen even though none of it was mine. *let out huge sigh* At least it is back to a manageable level. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Luckily I have @Alskies 

It was so hard because not only did I play tennis, but also softball, netball, basketball, hockey and athletics. I had to quit everything.

Now I do what I love. I volunteer and help people with several different organisations dealing with extreme poverty and mental health. It has been the most rewarding five years of my life and I have met so many likeminded people along the way Smiley Happy And luckily I don't need my wrist to volunteer!

What are some of the advantages/ positives of your own company, and how can you achieve this by yourself?

I'm an introvert...so after I have been out and around a lot of people...I need to be alone! But I'm okay with it, because I have gone out and done my thing. And I mentioned it before but nature, yoga, meditation, getting crafty etc are all things I love to do in my own company.

What are some things you have done to avoid spending time alone?

Going random places with my family so that I don't have to be by myself (E.g. with them to the doctors or dentist, or grocery shopping)

I totally understand @_sagira_ 

It's such a difficult situation. You don't realise until it's too late how many people you associate with are from the sport/hobby you participate. It can be really debilitating. 

Highlighted

i think we have all mentioned tonight the value of learning/ or actaully spending time in your own company! 

and they seem to stem down too learning more about yourself, slowing yourself down, self reflection, stress reduction 

ways to acheive it by yourself well i think its important to set yourself up properly - have some things to do that you like diong and then someone to talk to or see if/when you are done. 

learning to enjoy your own company takes time... but its worth it