Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Love your own company

@EloiseRose I totally agree with this.

@Student94
Solitude- now theres a word that hasn't popped up yet. nice work
heres what google says ...
Solitude is the state of being alone without being lonely. It is a positive and constructive state of engagement with oneself. Solitude is desirable, a state of being alone where you provide yourself wonderful and sufficient company.

@j95  I think you've hit the nail on the head.  Not feeling understood or heard, and not connecting with somebody - for me that would be my definition of 'lonely'.  I actually really enjoy time alone, but I hate not feeling listened to!

I agree @tsnyder

Welcome @_sagira_
I didnt see you jump on!
Sorry Smiley Happy

@_sagira_ this is really interesting - we can feel lonely if we don't choose to be alone. I think in this situation we can choose what to do with our time alone and hopefully those negative feelings fade.

Ok, so what about people's thoughts on the difference between being alone, lonely and in your own company?

For me lonely is not a choice but in your own company is. Lonely is more a deeper thing, you feel inside you really sad, start thinking all these bad thoughts about how nobody wants to be with you. But in your own company is pretty content with what you are doing by yourself, feeling ok about being on your own - not that negative feeling.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@_sagira_  how do you cope with being alone? Is it ever a positive experience for you? What methods or techniques do you think you could do to make it a more positive experience for you?

The difference between being alone, lonely and in your own company?

My thoughts are similar to @EloiseRose. I think being alone is when you are by yourself, lonely is when you might be with other people but don't feel connected to them or you are by yourself and are feeling sad about it, and being in your own company means you are enjoying being by yourself.

Hey everyone - reading the answers makes me think there are two main, but very different, approaches.

On one hand we have instances where people embrace being alone, listen and pay attention to their thoughts

On the other, we have a lot of ways of masking/distracting from being alone with our thoughts

Was wondering what people thought about this? It just seems like a really interesting difference in ideals to me and am interested in what people think is the reason for this difference? Perhaps both can be healthy?