cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Love your own company

@_sagira_  you've raised a really great point - I know quite a few people who say that accomplishing [even small] tasks helps them feel better.  I was actually think of buying a little pot plant and growing it, so that when I felt down I had something to turn my attention to.  It's so good to hear that you've coped well though, very strong!

Really different points, but I definitely agree with both of you @Alskies  and @_sagira_ 

So insightful! 

@florenceforever wrote:

I think books often does it for me @_sagira_ 

I would love to have something outdoors that works for me though!

Maybe that's something to explore. Look into your values, your core belief systems and see where you need to do some more work. Think about setting setting some immediate, short term, medium range and long term goals in the area of leisure perhaps and then work on writing an action plan about how you may achieve it all. May seem silly, but it means you're actively exploring for ways to engage yourself in the moment...with whatever it may be. Maybe you just need to exercise outside or something

@Alskies
Thats a good point- enjoy being alone in case it happens for longer than anticipated at some point in your life. Which I'm sure it will for all of us whether a few hours or days

Hmmm that's a good question @tsnyder, I guess for me when I can't get a certain thing off my mind, I know its time to chill out and figure out why it is stressing me out or what ever emotion it is causing me.. I often think about it myself and then I'll ring my mum for a second opinion..

sometimes I don't know I'm ready I'll get half way through nutting out something in my mind that is bothering only to realise thats what i've been doing haha..

Why is it important that we learn how to enjoy our own company?

Because you're with yourself 24/7, and will always have to spend time by yourself at one time or another. I think that enjoying your own company is also good for you and can lead to benefits like some of those mentioned by others in this thread (E.g. the opportunity to check in with yourself).

@_sagira_ isn't there a famous saying like "learn to date/love yourself, before you can date/love yourself" i guess being alone is the foundation for that because you will be with 'you' for the rest of your life

Some great ideas thanks @_sagira_ 

Maybe I should try reading outside!?

Why is it important that we learn how to enjoy our own company?

We get to know ourselves better which helps with building self-confidence and trusting our own judgement. We all find ourselves in situations where we have to be on our own so it's good to overcome fears or discomfort with this. Enjoying our own company also reminds us that others need time to themselves as well Smiley Happy

@_sagira_  you're so right, being content with yourself is hugely important.  A massive part of this for me is being able to laugh at myself, is this an important part for you also?