Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT]: Managing Chronic Illness

@Ben-RO keen to hear the things if you want to share Smiley Happy
Highlighted

I think chronic illness is anything that affects your physical, emotional, social wellbeing. 

Yep I have a few. Depression and anxiety being the biggest longest lasting ones. Not quite so chronic, this year various parts of my upper digestive tract have decided to play up, needing various appointments, bloods, medications, procedures. Great when I've just started working full time. 

As I've kind of hinted, I have a lot of appointments. How do I manage this? Short version, with great difficulty. I just try to schedule them at the most convenient times and find people to cover me at work. 

Highlighted

Highlighted

Hi everyone, I have a chronic illness. Migraines. They interfere with my everyday life and are not something I can change or fix. I also have ongoing depression which comes and goes and I have been accessing treatment for the past 4 years

Do you have ongoing medical appointments - with GP/Psychologist/Counsellor/Psychiatrist/Other. How do you manage them around everything else in life?

So I see a neurologist every three months for my migraines (have started botox treatment), often see my physio and I see my counsellor every 2-3 weeks. I often try and book appts outside of work, but this isn't always possible so I have to take time off work. It can be quite tiring going to work till 5, then off to an appt. 

On top of all this I do fatigue very easily and things become a big effort. On top of that I have GP appts and things like massages. Then there's always something like the dentist, optometrist...

Highlighted

@N1ghtW1ng yes it is a lot, this week I have an apt every day!!! And an interview tomorrow!

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

What do you know about chronic / ongoing health problems? Do you have any you WANT to disclose?

I know that for people who have them, they can be a real stuggle and can take a lot of time to deal with.  It can make a big impact on a persons lifestyle and may have a financial impact as well if they have to pay for medical expenses.

Highlighted

Sorry I'm late was doing dishes, was a crazy day!

I'm a big believer in putting your health first whether that is your mental or physical health. I see a pysch every 3 weeks and those appointments are non negotiable, I need them to function. I also make sure to see my DR every 4-6 months so he can tabs on my anxiety. I also find because I have to see my DR anyway I am more on top of my general health and had what I thought was a cyst removed but turned out to be pre cancerous as I figured I had to see my DR so I might as well bring it up. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!
Highlighted

Hey @Randomness!

Hi @Meowkins! Thanks for sharing Smiley Happy Have you noticed any difference after starting the botox treatment? Going to work then off to an appointment is super draining!
Highlighted

@Bee It was worse when I had to get one every week for three weeks Smiley Tongue I could try to take them with lunch. I also try to take olive oil, b+ vitamins and this mix of stuffs to try and help with my immune system too (because I have a semi-permanent blocked nose) but I'm just lazy. I could try with lunch time, but that's when I'm usually at uni, plus it breaks the routine of them being a morning thing, even though I don't really follow it.
@May_ I kind of wish the injections helped more, but really it hardly made a difference.

Also so many new people! Thanks for joining us! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy
Highlighted