cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] Marriage Equality, Plebicites, and all things LGBTQ+

Hey @N1ghtW1ng its good to be back! I'm glad i came back right in time for this!
Highlighted

Those are some awesome positives, but now it's time for the next question!

To you, how do you think the postal plebiscite could negatively effect the LGBTQ+ community and their allies?

Highlighted

To you, how do you think the postal plebiscite could negatively effect the LGBTQ+ community and their allies? Like some people that I know think that the plebiscite is unnecessary and a waste of time. Some of them think that the LGBTQ+ community are just doing this for attention and what not.
Highlighted

To you, how do you think the postal plebiscite could negatively effect the LGBTQ+ community and their allies?

I think it's very intense and upsetting to have other people decide something so important as to whether or not you can marry someone you love. 11% of the population (roughly) identify as LGBTQI+ and yet 100% of the population get to decide, whether they understand or are affected in any way. I find that upsetting and unfair. 
Highlighted

- it highlights the negative views about marriage equality and could potentially be harmful for LGBTQ+ people and their allies, family and friends
- if the plebiscite comes back negative then it could have super negative effects on the LGBTQ+ community
- if the plebiscite comes back positive but marriage equality is still not granted then the effects could be the same
- it can divide people in to 2 camps (the 'yes' and 'no' camp)
- some people in the LGBTQ+ community could be sensitive to the increased attention surrounding the issue and not be a fan of it
Highlighted

@SkyIsTheLimit it definitely can feel like a waste of time, but if it is what finally pushes the decision over (does that even make sense?).
@Ben-RO actually that's a really good point about 11% identifing as LGBTQI+ but 100%(or most of it anyway) get to decide.
@basketofmonkeys those are all great points. Smiley Happy It can certainly have negative effects on the community, especially on how the results come back.

A sort-of funny story, when I was younger, I didn't actually understand why people were voting for marriage equality. I thought that marriage was between two people(emphasis on people) and that was that. It wasn't until later that I learned the reason why people were asking for marriage equality was because same-sex couples couldn't legally marry, which I didn't know.
Highlighted

It can be scary to talk to someone who might be voting no. What are some ways to gently challenge someone's views about same-sex marriage? 
Highlighted

1. To you, how do you think the postal plebiscite could positively effect the LGBTQ+ community and their allies?
It could lead to a change in the constitution which would allow same sex marriage and also increase the positive media attention.

2. To you, how do you think the postal plebiscite could negatively effect the LGBTQ+ community and their allies?
It could cause the extremists against same-sex marraige to vote and possibly get majority in the plebiscite since there isn't compulsory voting and also increase the amount of media attention they get which can mean their opinions which may/may not hurt peoples feelings.
Highlighted

It can be scary to talk to someone who might be voting no. What are some ways to gently challenge someone's views about same-sex marriage? 

I think this is a trick question, because people do have a right to their views...even if they are ones that make us unhappy. But then also voting no is taking away someone else's choice to do something that (from all the reading i have done) doesn't have any impact on people who are not same-sex attracted... so... maybe it is okay to challenge? 

I guess it has to be up to you. But if you do challenge, remember that an argument is most likely going to "entrench" a person. Which basically means the person is more likely to convince themselves that they're right, if you try and convince them that they're wrong. If you think about that it makes sense, if you say "you're wrong" then the person is going to think about why they're right. 

So to challenge a person might not be the right approach. It's better to ask questions gently, pay attention and reflect back what the person is saying. Sometimes that's enough to help a person understand there might be a problem... but gosh that can be a very confronting and hard thing to do when you have a lot of feelings about the issue.... 

Highlighted

It is definitely a hard question @Ben-RO, people are allowed to think things.
I have been watching the news in the morning recently, and there was talk about this vote, and I was listening to both views. Something I found interesting, was that the "no" side (I think it was the no side, it wasn't very clear) was talking about it being against freedom of speech, talking about religions not being allowed to teach the man and woman view because of this vote. Which is interesting.
I agree completely with your last point, challenging someone's views isn't really the best way to go about talking about it. Just asking questions, understanding their point of view is important, what we all want is to be understood, even if you don't agree.