cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] New Year resolutions. It's that time already?!

entertainment-career-resolutions.jpg

Every year on the 31st of December, people around the world begin to count down the last few seconds of the year that has been. The new year welcomes a time to reflect on what we’ve done in the last year and how we can improve ourselves. People begin to think about what they’d like to achieve and commit to a strange set of goals called resolutions.

But, if you’re like me, committing to New Year’s resolutions is pretty hard and change is all the more challenging. As this occasion is all about new beginnings, we can be pretty tough on ourselves when it comes to resolutions and setting goals. We really do beat ourselves up when we don’t quite reach them. But I believe that we change a bit more each day- more than we actually think.

I like to joke about how I can’t really stick to them and just go with the flow. To me, it’s about knowing what I’m comfy with,  doing things at my own pace, yet still being curious to try new things. However, my past self didn’t quite understand that just yet.

Last year,  I was finally coming out of a fairly dark time and was only back on my feet. Suddenly, I felt the urge to just grab life by the wrist and do all the things! I had no idea where this surge of confidence and bravado came from. Making goals and racing against time to achieve my dreams seemed to be my main priority. One moment, I felt victorious and being all ‘Carpe Diem yay!’. However, the next few moments realised that I wasn’t taking good care of myself nor being relatively empathetic to those around me.

Basically, I became rather greedy and began crashing down.

It seemed that I wanted to get from Step 1 to Step 12 but had tried to skip all the other steps in between! All of my goals seemed to be going along the road of irresponsibility. It was then that I realised that it’s ok to slow down; that self-evaluation and setting goals can come at any time.

Setting goals or resolutions can be made at pretty much any time of the year, not just New Year’s. Although it means a lot to people, it’s also seeing what it means to you. Maybe New Year’s is the best time for change and to feel empowered or maybe it’s just another day. Goals don’t have to be enormous - they come in all shapes and sizes. This could be going for a run each week, hanging out with friends and family more, or it could be planning to go on a round-the-world trip.

Whatever your resolution or goal may be, it’s all about taking it one step at a time.

**Whether you've made some awesome New Year's resolutions, thinking about setting some goals, feeling a bit stuck about change and not knowing where to start - we want to hear from you! Join us to chat about tackling these resolutions on Monday 12 January at 8pm, AEST! We'll be talking about how goals and making change start with you!***

Re: [CHAT] New Year resolutions. It's that time already?!

Happy New Year! 2015 … I’m sure we’ll be signing dates with 2014 until June...

57387792.jpg

Welcome to tonight’s GR sesh

Tonight’s chat will be moderated by @Myvo and myself, before all the fun that is to come, have a look at ROs community guidelines, this is to ensure everyone feels safe. If at anytime you feel things are too much, feel free to check out emergency help. Let’s get things started our first question is:

1. A New Year does not always have to mean change, what is one thing you will keep from 2014.

Hello everyone! Smiley Happy

A New Year does not always have to mean change, what is one thing you will keep from 2014.

One thing that I'd keep is the mistakes that I've made Smiley Tongue Otherwise, there wouldn't be any room for improvement. 

Hey everyone!

1. A New Year does not always have to mean change, what is one thing you will keep from 2014.

My strength and skill sets that I learnt over the course of 2014. My new found optimism. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

A New Year does not always have to mean change, what is one thing you will keep from 2014.

Oooh what an interesting question... I think I'll keep the new friends I made in 2014 Smiley Very Happy

Oh and hi everyone! Smiley Happy Hope you all had a good break over the Xmas/New Year period

Happy new year erry bodyyyy! I think I will be keeping pretty much everything from 2014, except just trying to ramp it up a few notches. Play music more, sail more, exercise more and play more sport, and travel more! Just do all the same things but with more motivation Smiley Happy It's really good to use this time to reflect on the things you love about your current life, and not just focusing on what could be better, so great question!

Hey @stonepixie ! Welcome to our chat tonight Smiley Happy That's awesome - always good to bring positive vibes into the new year! 

A New Year does not always have to mean change, what is one thing you will keep from 2014

2014 was one of my favourite years, I want to keep all the friends I made last year.

Welcome @stonepixie @delicatedreamer @FItzChivalry Smiley Happy

I feel ya @FItzChivalry I too will be ramping things up a couple of notches, especially my road to recovery! Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

hey everyone!! 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//