cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Online friends!

Are there differences in communicating with friends online compared to in person? If so what are they?

Definitely! I think the biggest one would probably be that it's a lot harder to convey emotion and expression online. Sometimes this can lead to misunderstanding or misinterpreting what people are saying.

Hey @Georgie ! Welcome and thanks for joining Smiley Happy 

Skype was so huge when it came out because it really was the first big thing of it's kind. I still use it for big chats but I ise phone apps like snap chat and vibe to communicate now too with people overseas. 

Are there differences in communicating with friends online compared to in person? If so what are they?

Online you lose body language and verbal cues so it makes it harder to read subtext and context. I personally prefer online or digital forms of conversation tho, it's easier for me and reduces anxiety.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Hey @Georgie I totally agree, things like sarcasm are so hard online! I also hate writing lol or haha and never actually laughing..!

Are there differences in communicating with friends online compared to in person? 

When you are communicating to people online you also have the time to think about what you want to say and then type that out. When you are communicating in person you think about the words you want to use as you are talking to that person. 

Also when you are communicating in person you can sometimes fill-in other people's sentences; communicating through the FaceBook chat doesn't allow you to do that. 

Hey all!

I'm really sorry but I won't be joining you tonight. I'm going to go to bed after I finished this series. I do really want to stay but I know I shouldn't.

There is one thing I wanted to say though,
I consider all of you here as my friends, even though I don't actually know any of you personally, I don't need to know personal details to have a level of trust in all of you that I find lacking in my world. So thank-you guys.

Also, when you're online though, stay safe and stay anonymous. Make sure you actually know the person, as in really know the person and have met them physically before you exchange personal details. Just be safe!

Again, sorry I can't stay but enjoy your night!
Thanks,
N1ghtW1ng

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

@redhead good point. That's a definite positive of online friendships, it does reduce some anxiety and we'll look at more pros and cons later on. I think looking at FB, you can be friends... even if you don't actually ever talk/chat online to each other... 

@N1ghtW1ng take care
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Hey  @N1ghtW1ng !

What a lovely touch to the convo! Very sweet Smiley Happy You're our friend too!! I do agree that you don't need to know someone inside out to be their friend. 

And good on you for focusing on self care. 

Enjoy your sleep!!

Hey @ryvb3 

"When you are communicating to people online you also have the time to think about what you want to say and then type that out. When you are communicating in person you think about the words you want to use as you are talking to that person."

Do you find this changes when you are engaging in a conversation that has an element of speed built into it? For example. I often find that IM is quite quick and often not everything I waant to say is conveyed. Do you find that too?