cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Online friends!

Hey @ryvb3 , welcome to the sesh!

I think that's a good point about thinking before you speak, I admit I don't always do that... do you reckon you can think too much about it with too much time though? 

Hello everyone Smiley Happy

How do you keep in touch with people online?
I usually use facebook when communicating online, otherwise it's phone or face to face.

Are there differences in communicating with friends online compared to in person? If so what are they?
I agree with @Georgie that it is SO much harder to covey emotion and expression online.
I've also found that online communication can disrupt the flow of face to face communication and relationships making them harder to maintain and feeling as though they're strained when we physically see each other. I've also had SO many fights start because of online communication...

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Hey @Bee welcomoe, welcome, welcome!

hmmm interesting point about online convos changing a real life relationship. 

On that note, I'll ask this question...

Are online friendships (e.g. on Facebook) the same as real life friendships? 

@redhead I do agree that digital forms of communication are easier in terms of anxiety, however I have noticed that it makes job interviews and enquiries sometimes much harder than usual because I've restricted myself to online communication... I try to communicate with anyone I know face to face when I bump into them, helps reduce the anxiety of speaking face to face Smiley Happy

Are online friendships (e.g. on Facebook) the same as real life friendships?

They're not the same but they can be just as important/special.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@NigioC

Yeah in IM and in some FB chats there is an element of speed built into it. Especially if you can see that the other person is typing or you know that as you are typing a response the person on the other end could know that you are also typing.

I guess my comment about how communicating online allows "you to also have the time to think about what you want to say and then type that out," is true with emails.

@ryvb3 yes good point, you can't finish sentences online! Also as said before sarcasm is harder to convey.. I also feel like writing the emotion in * or brackets to convey it properly Smiley Tongue

want to elaborate on that @redhead ? What ways do you think they are the same or how are they still special? I do agree that online friends can still be close, but I think it still depends on how much effort you put into it- like any friendship!

@NigioC yep I often find things are left out when IM'ing, sometimes you just can't type it all quick enough!!! Smiley Happy

Haha, yes @Bee sarcasm can be particularly difficult to convey sometimes.

And absolutely @ryvb3 I love that emails can be written with thought and consideration. If onlly converssations had a delte key!!