cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Online friends!

Do people find it easier to approach strangers online than in real life?
As in, would you be more likely to engage with someone you don't know in an online setting than you would if you were out somewhere?

I think this depends on the surroundings. I have found it heaps easier to approach and get to know my TAFE class in the classroom! I've only spoken to maybe 2 online! The friendship is mostly based around our studies but is developing and involving our personal lives a bit too, which is quite awesome. I don't think I'd know them as well as I do if it was purely all online.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is a time and a place for both. Both have a unique benefit. Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

So guys.... some good thoughts going on here.

We said that reduced anxiety can be a positive aspect, what other benefits are there of online friendships?

what other benefits are there of online friendships?
I had a strong online friendship a while back and I found it built me up, I felt like I was appreciated in life for who I was. We had funny conversations about all kinda of stuff. We're not that close anymore, but I think online friendships can build you up and keep our hopes up during dark times..

Hey @Bee , I think the environment you're in can play a huge part! I'm pretty different from a lot of people I play basketball with but the common interest brings us all together. Are there environments like that online?

what other benefits are there of online friendships?

Like it was mentioned earlier, the internet means that we now can be friends with people anywhere in the world, as well in our own home towns.

I think another benefit is that it's not based on what you look like, takes away some judgement. Although, I suppose you can sometimes put forward an online image of yourself. 

@rt262 Well this is an environment kinda like that! Like @N1ghtW1ng had said in their post about seeing us as friends, without RO we wouldn't have this communication.
There are different pages on FB which offer a similar environment. Eg there is a page for early educators where we all discuss different things and offer advice and ask questions..

@rt262 that is what made my online friendship so special, and useful for me, because at first we had no images to really judge each other by, until we accepted each other as friends... and it all took off from there!

@ everyone I gotta go sorry. its a great discussion tonight. Take care guys
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Thanks for joining us @redhead!

Enjoy the rest of your night Smiley Happy