cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Online friends!

@redhead Will do Smiley Happy Take care of you too!

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

I know it's a bit quiet tonight guys, so I very much appreciate everyone for contributing. 

I might flip it over for this question..

Are there dangers of meeting people/making friends online? If so what are they?

what other benefits are there of online friendships?

I love how easy it is to stay in contact with people, without having to find a time when you're both free. Everyone is so busy nowadays, it can be very hard to find time to catch up. Especially with a lot of people. Connecting online lets you know that your old friend from kindergarten has moved overseas to pursue a career in llama juggling. And you can click 'like' so they know you're happy for them. And you did it all in an ad break. Perfect!! 

Yeah, definitely. Obviously not really knowing if the person you are meeting is who they say they are.

And leading on from that, the dangers with online predators etc.

I guess on another level, there could also be some dangers associated with limiting relationships to JUST online. I think it's pretty important to be able to interract with people in person too.

@rt262 I don't mind it being quiet, means it's easier for me to keep up and participate to my best Smiley Happy

There are a few dangers of meeting people you've met online
1. You don't actually know them, they could be someone they say they're not. This could be dangerous because they might try to hurt you (but we hope not!)
2. It could be someone you do actually know posing as someone else to get information from you and you have made clear previously you don't want them to know! (I have actually seen this first hand! Smiley Surprised )

There are others that I'm probably missing, but cannot think of now..

@NigioC hahaha what great examples! It does make everything a lot easier. On the flip side, do you think it means you put less effort in to actually see people? And is that a bad thing?

@NigioC I laughed at your post when you said "Connecting online lets you know that your old friend from kindergarten has moved overseas to pursue a career in llama juggling"
Llama juggling! That's what me laugh! Smiley Very Happy

@Georgie Yep that's important too, to remember the risk of limiting interactions to online!

@Bee it's scary how easily people might be able to do that. I hope everything turned out okay in the end! 

I guess on that note...

How can you ensure online friendships are safe?

That's a good question @rt262 sometimes it can be hard to work out if the difficulty factor of something is real or imagined.

I mean, I feel legitimately busy but maybe if I had no alternative I would just find a way to make time to meet up with friends rather than feel lonely.

That being said, with online relationships so easy to start, and not requiring much to keep going, have we reframed what a 'normal' amount of friends to have is? I have 300 Facebook friends and some of them have 500 or 1000. Have we created a culture where having 1 or 2 great friends now seems like not enough?