cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Online friends!

@rt262 Yeah it kinda freaked me out when I found out.. but I knew who it was and I just ignored her actions as I knew there was nothing I could do to stop her from continuing..

How can you ensure online friendships are safe?
- Never revealing sensitive info about yourself like where you live
- uhm..?

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Interesting thought @NigioC , the battle of quantity over quality it seems. It would be interesting if Facebook let you categorise people into categories like 'close friends', 'old school friends that I just want to see what they're up to' or  'that person I met through that other person I'm kind of friends with'.... and how many would actually fall under "friends".

Very solid point @Bee , don't be tempted to give details out online, probably even a good thing to be cautious about with people you genuinely know. They say once things are on the internet they're there to stay!

I think using trusted websites is probably another good one.

Also, be careful with location services. I always worry that if I post a photo or something, or check in somewhere, people could very easily find me, even if I haven't explicitly given out personal details.

@rt262 yep fb has always had that battle of quantity of quality, so I've found..
Also you CAN do that with your friends! Smiley Happy
It would be an interesting experiment! I might actually do that this week! Smiley Happy

Oh... the secret comes out that I don't actually have Facebook!
I'd be interested to see how it goes! I definitely don't claim to have hundreds of friends..!

Alrighty guys, we're a little quiet tonight so I'll post this summary of tonight's sesh now. There is one final question down the bottom to have a go at too    Smiley Happy

THANK YOU all for particpating, I had a good old chat Smiley Very Happy See you around!!

How do you keep in touch with people online? 
Facebook, Skype, Instagram, RO!

Are there differences in communicating with friends online compared to in person? If so what are they?

Harder to convey emotion and expression- no body language or verbal cues, more time to think about what you are saying (except for IM), may make face to face conversations strained.

Are online friendships (e.g. on Facebook) the same as real life (face to face) friendships? 
Need to be honest about who you are to form close friendships, differences in communicating.

What benefits are there to making or maintaining friends online?

Reduced anxiety, easier to maintain friends (because of time or distance), keep up to date/in touch with people you wouldn’t face to face, may feel more confident being yourself, can provide hope and help in tough times.

Do people find it easier to approach strangers online than in real life?

Less nerve wracking, can depend on the environment e.g. easier when there is shared ground like at TAFE/Uni or on RO.

Are there dangers of meeting people/making friends online?

Need to interact with people face to face too, online dangers e.g. predators, you might not know who people really are (are they being honest?), can pretend to be someone else.

If there are dangers, how can you ensure online friendships are safe?

Don’t reveal personal details about yourself, be careful of posting photos epecially when they might show your location, use trusted sites, this info sheet about using social networks safely has some answers too.

Any final tips on making or communicating with friends online? 

@rt262 Another person I know who lives without FB! Huzzah! I find it interesting when people defy the norm, it's awesome!

Hey guys,

Here is my super-update of things. Cat Very Happy

How do you keep in touch with people online?

Facebook and Skype are my main ways of keeping in touch, but I also have twitter. And obviously RO. Smiley Happy

Are there differences in communicating with friends online compared to in person? If so what are they?

I find it easier to talk to people online, but it is also not very personal.

This one time my friend and I were messaging another friend using the one facebook account. We said things to him that we would never have the guts to say to him normally, all because he didn’t have the slightest clue as to who it was that wrote it.

I guess talking online is an easy way to get to know people without wasting too much of your time.

There needs to be a sarcasm font!

Are online friendships (e.g. on Facebook) the same as real life friendships? 

Absolutely not. While they can be awesome, they don’t offer you the same type of support or contact. They lack intimacy (I wrote this before reading @Bee's comment).

Do people find it easier to approach strangers online than in real life?

As in, would you be more likely to engage with someone you don't know in an online setting than you would if you were out somewhere?

I don’t know, I mean I would still proceed with caution. And I would be less trusting and not give out as much details about me, I would probably not even give them my name.

What other benefits are there of online friendships?

I guess if they are from different time zones and there are a few of them, then there will always be a friend that is awake and hopefully online.

And with you guys, you can help me with stuff that I am not comfortable talking about in real life.

Are there dangers of meeting people/making friends online? If so what are they?

Them not being who they say they are. They could be sex offenders looking for their next victim or even someone trying to steal all your money or even steal your identity.

How can you ensure online friendships are safe?

I guess one way could be never to give out any personal details but if you want to meet them then make sure it is a public place and you take a friend with you.

Just stay really vigilant.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@NigioC I think people just like to friend collect so to speak or they have been travelling and think that they would love to bee kept up to date with their lives.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ