cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Our frenemy alcohol

When isn't it appropriate to drink alcohol?

I think drinking to deal with depression is really bad, because Alcohol is a depressant, it's not a good thing to be mixing with bad feels isn't great

What can someone do to look after a friend that has had way too much to drink?
Keep any alcohol away from them, keep them close to a bathroom, give them plenty of water, take them home, make sure they don't drive.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

What can someone do to look after a friend that has had way too much to drink?

Give them some water and something to eat to slow the absorption of alcohol. Don't encourage them to do things theywill regret. Support them. Let them crash at your place if they''ve got no where safe to go or can't drive home.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

I usually take them to the bathroom, get them a glass of water. If they are throwing up make sure they are not alone. And if they are really bad ill take them home, i never send them off on their own but go in the cab with them just to make sure they get home

@Asche  Hey! Welcome to RO land! 
What a weird experience! Thanks for sharing.

I did the same (at an older age) thing with tequila, can't even look at the stuff now! 

@redhead good point about the food, makes you feel so much better in the morning if you have something to eat before bed!

Haha, my friends live in hope, but I do not. I mean, I've been tempted but I'm as dry as the Sahara. If you have to get drunk to enjoy yourself, you're probably doing something wrong, and drinking more isn't liable to help.

Besides, alcohol is expensive, whereas sleep deprivation (which'll get you roughly the same results. Minus the hangover!) is free!

(Pull over and nap if you have to drive, guys. Seriously. I went on a roadtrip once and my aunt fell asleep at the wheel. Fortunately this was in the middle of the desert and there weren't any cars to be run into or cliffs to be driven off, so no major drama ensued, but hey I was lucky. You might not be.)

SO TRUE @dreamcatcher using alcohol to deal with depression and anxiety can be terrible, i have to admit that ive had a wine or two to stems the nerves and its not a good idea

@Asche that's a really good point too. If you feel even a little bit tired, especially after a long day, just pull over and rest because you'll be better off for it.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

A few of you have said 'make sure they're not alone', I think an important point to make here is to make sure they're not alone with a stranger or someone you don't trust. Sure, you might want to enjoy the party, but your friend's safety is way more important!!!