cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Pets & other ways to feel good

It's really good to know that you all seem to have people around you who support and care for you Smiley Happy

So far we’ve talked a bit about getting to a good sense of wellbeing, but what are some of the things you first start to notice if your wellbeing starts to slip? What can you do about it?

Well said @lokifish ! Smiley Happy

@Chessca_H i am looking to study psychology as soon as i become a mature age student and can apply
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@j95 Good luck! I've really enjoyed it, hope you do as well Smiley Happy

So far we’ve talked a bit about getting to a good sense of wellbeing, but what are some of the things you first start to notice if your wellbeing starts to slip? What can you do about it?

I'm constantly trying to work on this, but it gets easier to identify and act as time goes on Smiley Happy I find that I tend to withdraw socially, get irritable at people for no reason, am more susceptible to panic attacks. I might take a few days off school and realise it's because I'm not taking proper care of myself.

What do I do about it? Acknowledge that I'm struggling, reach out to somebody, take plenty of "me" time to do some self care, just try and work on one thing at a time to get back into a state of wellbeing.

I often need to catch it in its tracks and start distracting myself.  Whether it's exercising, talking to a friend, journalling, doing art etc.  Sometimes that doesn't always work...but it's about remembering whatever I'm feeling isn't forever.

Irritability, anxiety, not wanting to leave the house, difficulty sleeping... Setting and sticking to a firm routine (e.g. with time for eating, set sleep/wake times, social time, time out of the house, exercise etc.) is a good place to start for me, Trying to pinpoint what caused the slip and rectifying it if possible is a good thing to try to, but not if I don't over analyse it too much.

@lokifish great point, taking care of your wellbeing should always be a constant process that you pay a lot of attention to

I tend to notice my wellbeing starting to slip when I'm feeling flat, unmotivated, and frustrated with the world. It tends to creep up slowly, then last until I do something about it. 
For me, the best thing to do is change things up - I remember a while ago I was in a really bad place, and I decided to tear down all my posters, rearrange my room, and get myself re-motivated to do the things I wanted to do. It worked, in a sense - can't get rid of that feeling completely all at once, but it definitely helped!

"Sometimes that doesn't always work...but it's about remembering whatever I'm feeling isn't forever."

This.