cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT]: Physical health and exercise

Just like mental health, physical health is an important part of our overall wellbeing. However sometimes, it can be a little challenging to get active:

lzf1d.jpg

There are lots of ways to exercise and look after our physical health - you just have to find one that works for you. That might be a team sport, going for a walk, going rock climbing (yikes Smiley Tongue), or taking spectacular marks in the AFL.

51967_9458d3c05d4fcdd023b717c32c3890ac.gif

Want to talk more about physical health and exercise? Come chat with us here at 8pm AEST on Monday 12th June!

Re: [CHAT]: Physical health and exercise

Hey everyone and welcome! Tonight we are going to be talking about our physical health!

e8e560b395ce4fc4aedc11cd051137a4.jpg

If you're having a tough time tonight please don’t hesitate to call Lifeline (13 11 14) or Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800). 

Our first question for tonight is...

1. What is physical health?

Great question @FootyFan26!!

Hmmm... physical health is a state of wellbeing that is not just the absence of illness. It is...being fit, possibly? I'm struggling with a definition! Being able to complete the physical tasks that you need to in order to live the life you want. So physical health could vary from person to person. e.g. I couldn't run a marathon right now but I'd still consider myself to be physically healthy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

1. What is physical health?

The VCAA definition of physical health:  'Physical health relates to the efficient functioning of the body and its systems, and includes the physical capacity to perform tasks and physical fitness.' 

Physical development involves changes to the body and its systems. These can be changes in size, complexity and motor skills.  These include growth, complexity of the brain and nervous system and learning to write and walk.

Hey @letitgo!!

I think you're looking at the WHO definition of health which is off the top of my head, a complete state of physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.

Oooh, looking up a proper definition, that's a great idea @FootyFan26 and I like what VCAA have given. (Even though I don't overly like them, hahah)
I like the inclusion of development - definitely true that proper development is a big part of physical health

Yeah @FootyFan26 I think that's where I pulled the idea from. I'm reaching back to year 12 psychology, where they drilled the WHO definitions of physical and mental health into us over and over again. (Metaphorically, of course!) 

Hopefully it was metaphorically @letitgo!

I do Unit 1&2 of Physical Education and Health and Human Development so a lot of memorizing of definitions!

Okay, question 2 for this evening:

Is there a difference between physical activity, sport and exercise? Which one do you do the most?