cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT]: Physical health and exercise

1. What is physical health?

Physical health is your wellbeing around physicalness. I don't know how to explain it very well Smiley Tongue

Is there a difference between physical activity, sport and exercise? Which one do you do the most?

I think that physical activity and exercise are the same. Sport's different though - it's physical activity, but it's competitive.

Hmmm... I think there is a difference between physical activity, sport and exercise.

Physical activity I'd say is more general than sport or exercise. It could encompass any observable movement. e.g. I'm typing with my hands at the moment, and that's a form of physical activity.

sport is more of an organised thing, where one person or a team of people competes against another person/team through some form of physical activity.

Exercise is also physical activity, but it lacks the competitive aspect that sport has.

I definitely do exercise and physical activity more than I do sport... I'm not very co-ordinated and always worry about letting other team members down, so I tend to stick with other activities.    

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

2. Is there a difference between physical activity, sport and exercise?  Which one do you do the most?

Physical activity - An activity that involves some form of energy expenditure from movement of the skeletal muscles.

Sport - Is organised and involves rules, skills, tactics and competition

Exercise - An activity that is planned, involves repetitive body movement and aims to improve or maintain at least one of the components of fitness

I do physical activity the most as I'm not physically well enough to participate in sport or exercise. Smiley Sad

Hey @roseisnotaplant, thanks for joining the conversation!!

Thanks @letitgo Smiley Tongue

Also I change my answer and totally agree with you and @FootyFan26 Smiley Tongue

Next question!

How can good physical health impact our mental health?

Very clear definitions @FootyFan26  - I like them!

Sorry to hear you're not currently able to do much sport/exercise, but it's great that you'd do it if you could. Al lot of people couldn't say that!  

Good to see you @roseisnotaplant!

Oooh interesting question!

Good physical health can have a really positive impact on our mental health. 

I've had a few issues with my legs and have had to see a physio on and off all my life, and when my legs were at their best, my mental health was generally better too. On a day to day basis, if I've got a headache or a cold/some other physical ailment, I tend to be more sensitive and irritable. My concentration is worse, just to name a few mental consequences.