cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Pride

pride.png

Pride. What does that even mean? Pride is different for everyone (for some, it means a two or more lions). For me pride is appreciating what makes you you and what makes you happy. Every year Sydney is home to Mardi Gras, a pride parade and festival showcasing the best LGBTQI Australia has to offer. This wonderful event helps raise awareness of marriage equality and allows everyone to unite in celebrating their pride. Whether you’re on Oxford street or at home in Dubbo, what are you going to do this week to celebrate equality and love?

Sydney Mardi Gras is one of the biggest events in Australia’s social calendar, featuring shows, arts, entertainment and parades for all. One of the missions of the event is to raise the visibility of the LGBTQI community; inspire the world to love each other and unite in the power and beauty of diversity.

lemons.png

Having only come out last summer, I have a few things to be proud of, I am proud of being honest, being who I am and proud of myself for surrounding myself with supporting friends. For many whom identify as LGBTQI, coming out and showing all your colors can still be a challenge, intolerance and homophobia still exists, in 2015… can you believe it? Sydney Mardi Gras began as gay rights demonstration with many of it’s participants arrested in 1978, now in 2015, marchers flaunt their pride and continue to send the same message as the original marchers in advocating LGBTQI rights.

Having never been to Mardi Gras before, I definitely look forward to reading what you guys think of the festival, whether it is still relevant and how to stay safe and fab all while having loads of fun! Tune this Monday - 2nd March at 8pm AEST for another awesome GR session we could all be proud of.

Re: [CHAT] Pride

Hey everyone! Welcome to tonight’s GR session!

Tonight we are going to be chatting all things MARDI GRAS!!!!

mardi gras dancer.jpg

~~~~~~F yyyyyyyyeah~~~~~~

We want to know about your experience with this LGBTQI celebration and whether you think it’s still relevant in today’s changing society? ….We want to how else you could celebrate your pride (let’s face it half of us are too broke to get to Sydney)…. and how to deal with negative attitudes in friends, family or society towards pride events! We’re anticipating a host of great discussion, alongside some fun stories and advice!

mardgnomoneys.jpg

The chat tonight will be moderated by me (lanejane) and @jvkn . We’d like you to remember to have a read of the community guidelines before starting and remember that if you feel at any point like you need to take a break or talk to someone we have a section for emergency help.

How are you all feeling tonight??

lanejane

Hello everyone welcome to tonights chat Smiley Happy

Our first question for tonight is about PRIDE.

What does “pride” mean to you?

Pride to me is mainly about being happy and proud with who you are! I love all things LGBTQI so mardi gras is my time of year haha! It means that i can walk around and hold my partners hand knowing that there is some community awareness out there Smiley Happy

lanejane

For me pride is appreciating what makes you you and what makes you happy. Pride is what you like about yourself: your quirks, what makes you different, etc. Cat Happy

What about you @lanejane ? What does pride mean to you? Smiley Happy

@jvkn yep i agree. i guess that's why we constantly refer to things in the LGBTQI community as "gay pride" - because we apprciate our differences and pride "festivals" like mardi gras are a way of celebrating that!

lanejane

i think pride has a particular history with lgbt because it's the subject of discrimination etc - like people should feel ashamed of it. So that's why pride is a great word for celebrating all types of love

Talking about pride reminds me of that movie that just recently came out! Did anyone see it?

Pride_poster.jpg

lanejane

Good evening!

It means being comfortable in the skin you are in. Not giving a crap about what other people think of you and not being afraid to say "Yep, this is who I am".

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ