cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] R U OK?

I don’t think that it’s a huge assumption to say that most of us feel like we have the people who are closest to us sussed out pretty well.  Along with this, a lot of us would say that we would definitely notice if someone we love was feeling down or upset.  Really, how hard can it be to tell that someone is feeling sad when we see them and talk to them so often?

Unfortunately, it isn’t always that simple.  There may be a number of reasons why someone might not let others know when things are taking a mental turn for the worst.   Some of these reasons often include feeling that if they let people know it would make them a burden, feeling like they should be able to handle it on their own, and feeling disconnected with the people around them.

So the question that comes from this is what can we do to prevent it?  Over time and all over the world some of the smartest minds have tried to answer this.  One of the most universally acknowledged answers is in the power of the simple question – “Are you ok?”.

On the 11th September, Australia will have a national day of action named R U OK? Day.  R U OK? Is a not-for-profit organisation that aims to encourage people to reach out to those in their life who are struggling, in the hopes of strengthening bonds and providing support.  It might not seem like it, but one conversation can save a life.

In this week’s Getting Real session, @EloiseRose and I will be talking about what you can do to help those around you, as well as asking for help when you’re in need of support.  So come and join us online to tell us your thoughts about R U OK? Day on Monday the 9th of September at 8pm, AEST!

Re: [CHAT] R U OK?

Hello everybody its me again
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Hey guys, welcome to tonight’s Getting Real Session! Smiley Very Happy

Tonight @EloiseRose and I will be chatting to you about R U OK? day. R U OK? is a foundation that aims to work towards better suicide prevention by urging people to ask their friends and loved ones who are struggling "Are you ok?"

Before we getting going, and because we want to keep this a super positive and supportive space, if you haven't already it would be great if you could take a quick read of our community guidelines.

Because this topic can bring up some upsetting feelings for people, if there's any point during this session that you're feeling down and want to talk to someone please feel free to check out our emergency help services in the top right hand corner.

Let's get this show on the road with the first question!

What do you know about R U OK? day? Have you been involved in any events or fundraising?

Hey @j95 , good to have you here!

What do you know about R U OK? day? Have you been involved in any events or fundraising?

Most of what I know about it came from research for this session actually! I've never been involved with them before, but after reading what I read I think I would if given the oppurtunity Smiley Happy

I don't know much at all about it

Hey yall - im psyched for tonight ! What a great break from uni work

I know its a day about asking people if they "r ok?" ... i havent been involved in any events. But i have been following the bus tour online... which i could have caught up with them when they were near me 

when I was in high school they gave out stickers for it but thats it, it didn't really teach anybody anything.

It's where you ask people how they are doing, basically. But I haven't been involved in anything.

@j95 I didn't beforehand either, mostly just remembered the tv ads they used to run Smiley Tongue