cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] R U OK?

Glad you joined us @stonepixie ! I really like your description of R U OK? Smiley Happy

Hey @delicatedreamer ! Great for you to join us 

Why do you think we need a day dedicated to asking people if they “are ok?” ?

Because people tend to bottle up their emotions as they think the world doesn't care as to how they feel or anything like that. And when someone genuienly asks if they are okay, it might be what makes them talk and get the help that they need. Or maybe it could be that someone thinks they are a-okay but when someone genuienly asks them, they might realise that they aren't okay and do need someone to talk to.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I honestly think that we do need a day to ask if " we are okay?''. It gives people who arent Okay a chance to talk about wharts going on. I wouldnt be here today if a teacher didn't ask if i was okay, two years ago. It also shows that people do care 

Because no one ever asks! I understand why, people can feel a bit awkward about prying into other people's lives, but I think most times the person will appreciate that someone is checking in with them - you just need to go about the right way. I've had the question asked of me at times and I think the way someone asks it really affects my response, usually I am very appreciative, but it has gotten my back up on a few occasions too.

I'm glad it worked out for you @ashleemaree Smiley Happy

That's such a good point @delicatedreamer ! People get so weird around the private lives of other sometimes

@ashleemaree It was actually my academic supervisor asking over and over if everything was okay that made me realise that no, everything wasn't okay. That was about 10 months ago. It took me another month and a half before I actually go the help that I needed.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@stonepixie I so agree people do bottle up their emotions! Good point that people can actually consider if they are ok.

@ashleemaree Im glad it helped you! Its good to hear stories about how important and useful the question is

Me too @ashleemaree

Everything would be so different for me and my family if I a teacher didnt ask I was ok in year 10. Even though I said yes they insisted something was going on and kept asking and thank god for that!
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//