cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] RUOK day: How to ask, how to help

@FootyFan26 your answers are on POINT tonight!  

I feel like those 5 steps would pretty much always get someone talking ! Brilliant ! 

Hey @j95 Smiley Happy

The second step of any conversation is listening! Talking about how you feel can be upsetting, difficult or even embarrassing so it’s important that when someone confides in us we listen without judgement. What are some things we can do during the conversation to show that we’re listening and that we care?

Make (appropriate) eye contact, giving them a chance to speak without interjecting, don't play with your phone, offer them a hug if that's your thing.

Hey @j95, glad you joined us!

@j95 Welcome! Hope you had a good training session!

@AllyJane Awesome answer! I think you're spot on - letting them know that you're here for them is so important! Even if they don't want to talk, just knowing that there is someone out there for them can be a good feeling.

What are some things we can do during the conversation to show that we’re listening and that we care?

I know when I'm talking to someone I love when they ask me questions! It makes me feel like they're actually listening to me and not just nodding and agreeing with whatever I say!

The second step of any conversation is listening! Talking about how you feel can be upsetting, difficult or even embarrassing so it’s important that when someone confides in us we listen without judgement. What are some things we can do during the conversation to show that we’re listening and that we care?

Cracking a joke or two can sometimes help break the ice a little bit but it depends on the person and how well you know them
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Some awesome answers going on here guys! Next Q:

The third step of the ‘R U OK?’ conversation is encouraging action. That doesn’t mean that we have to know the answers to their problems, but it does mean we have to be willing to offer support to them and help them think of ideas that may help them bring themselves into a better headspace. What are some things that we can suggest to someone going through a hard time that may help them?

What are some things we can do during the conversation to show that we’re listening and that we care?

Eye contact is crucial, and lots of nodding. Nodding lets them know that you're following along and really paying attention. When its appropriate its also a good idea sometimes to repeat what they've said back to them, but reworded. That way they know that you've listened and understood well enough to be able to put it in your own words. 

Highlighted

@lokifish "Don't play with your phone"! It seems so obvious but people play with their phones so much without even realising it. It definitely makes it seem like they're not listening. What a great point!

Basically reflecting back on what they are saying, Maybe through in some ah huhs in there. But one thing I thought of that isn't really about listening is making sure we have good body language. Okay, it sort of is part of active listening.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I agree with all of the answers from everyone else, especially repeating back to them what they have told you using different words so they know you are on the same page as them
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//