cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] RUOK day: How to ask, how to help

What are some things that we can suggest to someone going through a hard time that may help them?

• Giving them some services they can use
  • Going to a GP, counsellor or psychologist
  • Telling other close friends and family
  • ReachOut! Smiley Wink
  • Being a bit more open (if that helps)
  • Your support and ears to listen anytime they need
  • Doing things they enjoy
  • Going to a Reach workshop if possible - They're a really good organisation

Also just spending time with them and doing things with them that they enjoy can be really helpful to bring someone into a better headspace. 

The third step of the ‘R U OK?’ conversation is encouraging action. That doesn’t mean that we have to know the answers to their problems, but it does mean we have to be willing to offer support to them and help them think of ideas that may help them bring themselves into a better headspace. What are some things that we can suggest to someone going through a hard time that may help them?

We have so many coping strategies on these forums! I think talking to people about them is a great place to help someone begin the journey of learning how to be well. I think sending people here to talk is also great! Sometimes it might mean helping them talk to a doctor and getting a mental health plan depending on where the person is at.  

So much Reachout self promotion going on here Smiley Tongue

Great to know you guys like this place as much as we do!

Yup!! @Randomness the simple things also really help! Just being supported and having good company can make a world of difference. especially if they are feeling alone or isolated!!
Highlighted

@FootyFan26 + @j95 spot on! Just because someone is going through a hard time doesn't mean they want to be wrapped in cotton wool. Being sensitive is definitely a neccessity, but some people do take it too far and that can make a whole other problem.

@lokifish I have a friend who is really guilty of it. It's gotten to the point where I'm just like "Hey, can you go on your phone later when I'm not here?" Haha. Pointing it out seems to have worked, they do it a lot less now!

@Randomness "You can offer to go with them if they're nervous" YAAAS! Definitely! Having moral support is awesome. I always offer to go with my friends to things, even if I just sit outside in the car. 

@Randomness thats a really good point! Sometimes just being around to be a friend is a big form of support Smiley Happy

@Chessca_H No joke, everyone on here feels like my second family. Why wouldn't I want to promote that? Smiley Very Happy

Yaaay @bessie94! Definitely agree! When you're doing it tough, getting motivated can be extra hard. A helping hand is always welcome!

Our next question for tonight:

The final step of our conversation is to follow up with that person later. Even though ‘R U OK?’ day is only one day a year, it’s important that we look out for our mates and family throughout the year – just as they should look out for us. If someone has confided in you about something, what are some ways that you can follow up with them, or even help them out with their action plan?

If someone has confided in you about something, what are some ways that you can follow up with them, or even help them out with their action plan?

I think it's important to not underestimate the power of a little message every now and them. Just letting them know you're around and thinking about them is a great way to make sure they're on track with handling the situation