cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] RUOK day: How to ask, how to help

The final step of our conversation is to follow up with that person later. Even though ‘R U OK?’ day is only one day a year, it’s important that we look out for our mates and family throughout the year – just as they should look out for us. If someone has confided in you about something, what are some ways that you can follow up with them, or even help them out with their action plan?

Totally agree that this shouldn't only be one day year! while it is good for promotion, unfortunately we all cannot have a problem only one day of the year haha it just doesn't work like that!

i think CONSISTENCY is key. Don't message then once then never reply to them! you don't want to be pushy, just consistent. Ask them how they're going. Make sure you stay actively in their life and still hang out with them. even if you don't have to talk about whats going on, just making them feel supported and loved

The final step of our conversation is to follow up with that person later. Even though ‘R U OK?’ day is only one day a year, it’s important that we look out for our mates and family throughout the year – just as they should look out for us. If someone has confided in you about something, what are some ways that you can follow up with them, or even help them out with their action plan?

If you're not comfortable or able to follow up in person, send them a text/Facebook message saying "Hey, how're things going? Did you get a chance to speak to ___?" GP, counsellor, parent etc. Someone before mentioned offering to go with them which is an awesome idea!

If someone has confided in you about something, what are some ways that you can follow up with them, or even help them out with their action plan?

Giving them a little bit of time to do some of the things that you'd suggested to them is a good idea - you don't want them to feel pressured or pestered. I've found that if a friend asks me after a few days how things have been going, it feels like a good amount of time has passed - i've had the chance to look into some stuff, but they havent left it too long, so I know they didn't forget about me. 

Yup @AllyJane! definitely agree! you don't want to be pushing them so hard incase you make them feel guilty about not taking any action yet!

@lokifish I think thats an awesome suggestion, especially because sometimes it might feel a little uncomfortable for them to be followed up in person - doing it over facebook or something like that is a great idea. 

Highlighted

@Chessca_H + @bessie94 Yeees! This is exactly my answer! If someone has reached out to you, don't ever forget about them. Or let them feel like you've forgotten about them!

@lokifish Social media is definitely a lifesaver sometimes! I'm definitely not a phone call person (and I feel like a lot of my friends aren't either), so a lot of our conversations are via facebook messenger or SMS when we can't get together to catch up properly.

I think you have to keep it simple. Getting well and learning the skills that you guys are so amazing at can be a long journey sometimes, and that's okay! I think it's important to look at the steps between, and break it down into small easy to tackle parts. Maybe talk about the journey a little bit, and start with a few simple steps. Like doing a mindfullness session every day, or being brave and making that first appointment with the GP. 

@AllyJane you've brought up a really important point there, not only should they not feel pressure but they should feel like they're the one who gets to make the decisions about what happens. Feeling like the other person is taking over the help seeking process is never fun

If someone has confided in you about something, what are some ways that you can follow up with them, or even help them out with their action plan?

• Have another quiet chat
  • Offer buckets of encouragment (more like truckloads!)
  • Make sure they're following their plan and softly head them in the right direction if they aren't
  • Ask them
  • Keep in contact relatively frequently
  • Encourage them to tell others that can keep them on track
  • Don't be on their back about it
  • Give them space of needed
  • Listen to them and what they want
  • Talk about them and keep the topic going subtly

Well the most simple answer to this is to keep asking them. Not excessively because that could push them away, but just asking every now and then at the appropriate time or place how they're going. If they have an action plan, asking how they're going with it and encouraging them to continue at it and help provide tips if they're struggling. Something my friends and I do a lot as well if we've got something we want to do/change in our lives, to keep each other accountable, we text each other periodically reminding them to do what every they've set out to do and asking them how they're going with it.