cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] RUOK day: How to ask, how to help

Yeah! I agree @KitKat It can sometimes be hard to tell that something's up. I guess i've learned that it doesn't hurt to spend a little time every now and then checking in with your mates about how things are going. 

@FootyFan26 That list was incredible!

@stonepixie

i totes agree, also this:

200_s.gif

Sometimes people don’t always speak up when they’re struggling or feeling down, if your gut instinct is telling you something is not quite right with someone then chances are they may need a little bit of extra support. What are some ‘signs’ that someone may be struggling and needs you to ask if they are okay?

I completely agree @KitKat I actually do a bit of both! It can be hard to tell when people are trying to hide it, but I think other signs can be, just if the person has changed in any kind of way, isn't going out as much or doing as much of what they used to, sleeping more or less, marks/performance going down at school/uni/work. Everyone is different and there are lots of different signs. 

Hey everyone, thought I might drop in on tonight sesh!

What are some ‘signs’ that someone may be struggling and needs you to ask if they are okay?

Sounds really simple, but just if they seem to be acting not like themselves. Concerning changes in behaviour can sometimes happen scarily quickly, so if someone sudden stops being as social as they usually are or stop participating in hobbies they usually really enjoy for example it's definitely something that should be brought up

@lokifish Welcome! Glad you could make it!  

I'm definitely one of those irritable type people you just mentioned! If I'm stressing out hard then something little can just drive me over the edge,  even silly things like my hair touching me or my phone freezing up can make me snap.

I have spare drumsticks! They might not be the kind you're all wanting though Smiley Tongue

drumstick

Hmmmm, so it seems to me like we all reckon sometimes it's pretty obvious, but sometimes people can hide it so well that you might not be able to tell!  

So, let's explore! Next question!

The first step of starting any conversation is asking! It may sound easy, but sometimes it

can be difficult for us to start the conversation even though we want to. What kind of things

can we say to let the person know that we want to know if something is wrong? How can we

begin the conversation and help them open up?

drumstick

Here you go, @KitKat. *hands virtual icecream over*

On a completely relavent / irrelavent note, I just found out that there is a vegetable called 'drumstick'.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

What are some ‘signs’ that someone may be struggling and needs you to ask if they are okay?

One thing I see a lot among my circle of friends when things aren't going so well are their own different versions of coping mechanisms. Some will finish every sentence with something like "but its fine, it doesn't matter", to try and diffuse the intensity of the topic they've just vented to me about. You start to pick up on it after a while, but at first it might be easy to miss. 

I think its easy to forget that sometimes people are trying to convince themselves that things are okay, too. We don't always want to admit that things aren't going to great, so we try and comfort ourselves by saying that its fine, or not a big deal, or something like that. 

When a friend says something like that, I try to check in, sometimes by saying something like "is it really fine though?" just to make sure there isnt something else they want to say, something they might be holding back. 

@KitKat that's interesting you say that because I've been irritable recently but it's always been triggered by other people. I can't remember a time where I've made myself angry like I've been recently.

@stonepixie I'm super jealous of your drumstick-eating right now, I want a drumstick D: