cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Relationships & social media

Online dating is a blessing and a curse, I mean there is nothing more awesome than finding a great relationship whilst sitting at home in my sweats eating ice cream and chatting away but then again I do miss out on that face to face contact that we as humans crave. We are now in the age of the internet where everything we do is online; we have moved our friendships, relationships and dating life on the web.

This relates to a majority of us because as young people we have grown up with technology and we meet people on there all the time, how many of us can say we don’t have at least one social networking site? So it’s inevitable that we will meet people and form connections and relationships whether as a pen-pal, a friend or a whirl wind romance. We just need to be aware of what we are stepping into and how to protect ourselves.

I think there are 8 essential rules to online dating and some of these can be applied to online friendships as well:

1.      What you see may not be what you get

2.      Be honest about who you are (no Photoshop)

3.      Do your homework

4.      Stand firm on your values

5.      Take your time

6.      Pay attention to your gut instincts

7.      Be happy with yourself

8.      Ask yourself, what you are honestly looking for?

These rules are important to keep in mind because there are some pros and cons to online relationships. Even though they save time, you are able to filter, you get to know people better and it can sometimes be safer there are also other ways where it’s not safe. Some of you may know the MTV show called Catfish, that is a good wake-up call and for those who haven't watched it I suggest you Google it. Plus being online you miss out on that face to face contact and sometimes the people around you tend to judge and criticize which can definitely be hurtful.

So come join us this Monday (23rd) at 8pm AEST so we can discuss these rules of online relationships/friendships, share our experiences with each other and also share tips on how we can stay safe and mentally healthy.

In the meantime, have a read of these factsheets:

http://au.reachout.com/Using-social-networking-sites-safely

http://au.reachout.com/My-only-friends-are-online

Re: [CHAT] Relationships & social media

Cant Wait!

Happy Monday amazing peeps

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real session!!! Tonight EloiseRose and I will be co-faciliating. We are discussing how the internet has changed and transformed our relationships, this might be an issue that we all can relate to or maybe some of you will not relate at all and just want to know more about it. 

We would love to hear your opinions and stories on this topic whether you have had a relationship online or even a friendship online or if you want to have a relationship with someone online but you are unsure. Come in and join us find ways to be safe and happy online and offline. 

As you all know, it is important to keep to the forum guidelines and have a read if you haven't already and if at any time you need to talk check the emergency tab at the top right.

So to start us off tonight:

Have you used the Internet/ social media websites as a potential avenue to meet someone? Or even continue getting to know someone after you have met someone? if so, how did it work for you?

Have you used the Internet/ social media websites as a potential avenue to meet someone? Or even continue getting to know someone after you have met someone? if so, how did it work for you?

Thank @ruenhonx  for starting us off!!

I have never used the interenet for dating but i have definately used it to continue building the relationship

Dating online is definitely not for everyone. I actually met my current boyfriend on Facebook and it has been long distance since and we have been together for 3years and that is probably the first positive relationship I've had online.

@ruenhonx 

I didnt meet my bf online but social media and the internet has defs helped stay in contact with each other over our long distance relationship as well!!!

I agree, I feel so grateful for the internet because can you imagine not having Skype or Whatsapp or Facebook.

@ruenhonx 

I completely agree!!!

Viber is great as well... !

I see a theme here... we have used social media in our relationships.So here is a question for you that i reckon we could answer  quite well... 

What are the advantages of using online avenues to meet people or get to know people better?

Hey guys, sorry to leave you guys chatting to yourself.

I must say that I didn't practice the best cyber safety when internet started to become a big thing. At one stage I ended up having a penpal. We started off emailing between each other, and then started writing once a month to each other through the snail mail. We never met though and our friendship slowly died down once we both hit university age.

I met my ex at a pub crawl but got to know him about a year later through chatting online. And I swear that is how my best friends and I became really close and started an actual friendship (their words, not mine) rather than being uni friends.

I also use the internet to stay in contact with the fam bam since I moved away for uni.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ