cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Relationships & social media

What are the advantages of using online avenues to meet people or get to know people better?

You get to know people better, people tend to be more honest online, looks are not always important and to some extent it is definitely safer especially when you are using a site where you use usernames and stuff. 

Hey @stonepixie
Dont apologise.
Its interesting to hear how it eventually fizzled out... ! I think thats a potential problem with social media in that aspect

Hey @stonepixie

Welcome Smiley Happy haha thanks for joining us. The internet is awesome for staying in touch with everyone without having to see them face to face.

What are the advantages of using online avenues to meet people or get to know people better?

The advantages of getting to know people better over the net is that they don't feel pressured to behave a certain way and may find it easier to be themselves. You can build stronger friendships and get to know them a lot quicker, and don't have to find a time that everyone is available for a catch-up especially when you live all over the place, for us, there is at least 30 min drive between us and the longest distance to drive would be about 70 mins. Not really ideal when you are just starting to get to know each other and not sure if they are worth the trip.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

My brother met the girl he's dating on tinder. Hahaha and I met a really lovely friend on tumblr who ran an advice blog. So hey there are goodies out there among the creeps.

you can remain anomoumous 

- Its sometimes easier to formulate a response

- No awkard silences 

- You can sit in your pjs 

I agree @stonepixie me and my friend chat on Skype once a week and it honestly feels like we are not far from each other even though we are states away.

Hey @leo-dicaprio
I agree with you - you just have to filter through the creeps to find them. Which is another advantage of the internet.

@EloiseRose wrote:
Its interesting to hear how it eventually fizzled out... ! I think thats a potential problem with social media in that aspect

I think it was because she reached uni the year before me and moved out onto college. So she was meeting heaps of new people and getting accustomed to uni. I was in my final year of uni and between all the study, homework, extra classes, work and keeping up with my physical friends, I hardly found the time for letters anymore. Plus we had moved our friendship onto social media instead of snail mail. We started taking forever to reply to stuff and eventually our friendship just stopped existing. But it didn't really phase me. I still have her on my facebook. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

So we have shared the advantages, from your experiences

What are the disadvantages of using online avenues to meet people?