cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Relationships & social media

Yes it can be a great experience, being with my boyfriend has made all my crappy experiences feel like nothing.

I never noticed how much I had gone through online until this session and I would advise my friend to be themselves and be open but also be private so they can protect themselves if things turn bad.

@ruenhonx  It's okay, it is quite clear that it is not me and that it is 2 people. But yes, I have a popular name. So many different results from searching. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Thanks @ruenhonx and @EloiseRose for tonight. As well as @leo-dicaprio for briefly joining us.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Thanks @stonepixie  for jumping on tonight!!!

and for everyone else out there for following the conversation here is tonights summary...

1. Have you used the Internet/ social media websites as a potential avenue to meet someone? Or even continue getting to know someone after you have met someone? if so, how did it work for you?
• Not many met their partners online … but used social media to build on it
• But it was good for continuing the relationship and maintaining it
• Avenues: Viber, whatsapp, facebook, skype
• Sometimes the relationships fizzle out

2. What are the advantages of using online avenues to meet people or get to know people better?
• You get to know people better
• People tend to be more honest online
• Looks are not always important
• Safer
• Remain anonymous
• No pressure to act a certain way
• No awkward silences
• Faster to get to know people
• Formulate responses
• Filter through the weirdos

3. What are the disadvantages of using online avenues to meet people?
• People can lie...
• Its harder to tell what they are really like in person
• With some people its actually easier to talk on social media than in person
• You don’t get that face to face contact
• Scammers
• Cyber bulling
• People pretending to be what they aren’t

4. Have you ever had a catfish experience? How did you handle it? If not catfished what other experiences have you had?
• Not many people have been catfished
• Light bulb moments occurred, Catfished means = Being deceived over social media by someone who professes their romantic feelings to his/her victim, but isn't who they say they are.

5. Would you be catfishing if you were online pretending to be someone else for a friend? eg. if your friend was too nervous to talk to someone so you did for them.
• Mixed answers… some said yes some said no.
• Yes, You are pretending to be someone else
• No, because it is harmless.
• Maybe it’s a matter of what their intentions were
• Its not completely catfishing but is similar

6. The Internet can be very addictive, what can you do to enjoy yourself but also stay connected to the offline world?
• Going to the gym
• Meeting up with friends
• Not relying on social media for company/ something to fill your time when your bored
• Learning how to switch off literally and figuratively

7. Given the rules that we posted which one do you think is the most important and why?
• Pay attention to your gut instincts
• Be happy with yourself

8. After tonight's session, what advice would you give to your friend if they wanted to date online?
• Be honest
• Know what you are looking for
• Follow your gut instinct
• Just be wary and if something doesnt seem right ... think about it carefully
• Enjoy the process because it can be fun
• Do your homework
• Make sure you schedule in time to be in the real world.
• Search you name from every now and then to make sure something too risqué or something you wouldn't want your mum or a potential employer seeing doesn't pop up.

Thank you @stonepixie and @leo-dicaprio for coming in and not making us feel like loners. You are both super awesome, and everyone else watching, I hope we have helped you out some how. Awesome summary @EloiseRose Smiley Happy