cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT]: Relationships with age gaps

I personally haven't been in a relationship with a large age gap but I definitely think there are a lot of benefits especially when you take maturity and life experience into account like @T4ils said.
Highlighted

Yeah i know a few people who have been in relationships with age gaps. My parents are 6 or so years apart, which doesn't seem like too much now that they're both in their 60's but i think when they got together when my mum was 18, it seemed big! 

Highlighted

Hey @T4ils and @Sarah7714!

I've heard of one relationship with an age gap which started out with the two people complementing each other as has been mentioned, but in this particular case, it got to a point where they were at different stages in their lives. The older male was nearing retirement, whereas the woman still felt like she had much of her life (working and otherwise) to live, which made it not really feasible to continue the relationship... 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

What positives do you think there are to relationships with age gaps have?

I think that if someone’s in a relationship with someone they like then they should be in that relationship.  People who are in a relationship with an age gap should feel okay to be in that relationship if they like the other person.  I feel like there can also be a difference in the experiences of the couple which can lead to them learning a lot from each other.

Highlighted

Hmm so is it just me or does it seem to be that a lot of these relationships the male is older? What's up with that? 

Highlighted

Heya everyone Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Interesting observation @Ben-RO... one person has suggested to me that because female brains tend to become fully formed sooner (e.g. frontal lobe development etc.) that could explain it, but I'm not sure how that would apply to older adults... Also, it could be a bit of a sexist explanation...

Highlighted

What positives do you think there are to relationships with age gaps have?

I think that people of different ages will have different experiences and knowledge and perspectives and stuff and there's a lot you can gain from that. I haven't been in a romantic relationship with an age gap, but I have many older/younger friends who I have interesting discussions with because we're all at different stages of life and know different stuff, and I guess that could be applied to a romantic relationship.
Highlighted

Hey there @roseisnotaplant! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

hmmm guess it could be a bit of all of the above @letitgo!

@letitgo wrote:

Interesting observation @Ben-RO... one person has suggested to me that because female brains tend to become fully formed sooner (e.g. frontal lobe development etc.) that could explain it, but I'm not sure how that would apply to older adults... Also, it could be a bit of a sexist explanation...