cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT]: Respect for Yourself and Others

Growing up, I was always taught these two things when it came to respect.

And

But, the only people who seemed to respect me, was my family. Looking back on my childhood and teen years, I can see how this happened, I didn’t really respect myself enough to be respected by other people.

Huh? How did that even happen?

Quite simply, I was a full time people pleaser. ‘No’ just wasn’t a word in my vocabulary. I was a giver and people just took and took. In other words, I lacked boundaries and just didn’t know who I was as a person.

It was after one particular incident that I thought to myself, enough is enough. I started saying ‘no’ to things and it was liberating! I started thinking about what I needed instead of what other people needed.

Of course there is more to having a respectful relationship than just healthy boundaries. It is about acknowledging and embracing our differences, among other things. And we can’t have a conversation about respect if we don’t cover what to means to be disrespected and how to cope with such relationships.

So come join us on Monday 23rd November at 8pm AEDT as we have a discussion in honour of White Ribbon Day about respectful relationships and how to cope with disrespectful ones.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Re: [CHAT]: Respect for Yourself and Others

Hey everyone! I hope your Monday was as rad as mine. An awesome person I know introduced me to Disney sloth Princesses and I just had to share with you all! Aaannd I am side tracked.

Okay, welcome to tonight’s Getting Real session in honour of White Ribbon Day. @Lahna will be joining me as we co-facilitate our first ever discussion! It is on a little old thing I like to call respect and how it applies not only to other people we have relationships with, but also ourselves.

If you haven’t already please check out the Community Guidelines before you join in to the discussion. Talking about things like respect can bring up negative feelings for some people. If you feel like you would like you could use some support I encourage you to use the Emergency Help in the top right hand corner.

1. We want to start this chat by making sure we know how to look after ourselves or other people in our lives if something is tougher than what we can talk about on a forum. So our first question focusses on that:  Many people may experience tough times around lack of respect. It is important that people are made aware of the supports “out there” if they don't feel safe or are not getting the respect they need. Who could these people reach out to for help?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Hi @stonepixie, thanks for the intro Smiley Happy Yup RESPECT. We all need it. 

For me, lack of respect can be such a scary thing. I think it’s important to be able to reach out to family members or friends as well as cultivating the courage to reach out to support groups such as 1800 RESPECT, Lifeline, Relationships Australia or reaching out to crisis centres in extreme cases such as http://dvcs.org.au (Domestic Violence Crisis Service). Despite this, I also believe that in disrespectful situations it can be difficult to seek help, or awareness that help is available could be low. So I suppose this raises another point… Spread awareness that there is help!! Smiley Happy 

Sup @Lahna and @stonepixie! Good to see you both! 

Can't wait to see this discussion blossom into a beautiful sloth princess! 

anigif_original-30763-1405453823-7.gif

This was a poor excuse for posting a sloth gif... I admit...

Many people may experience tough times around lack of respect. It is important that people are made aware of the supports “out there” if they don't feel safe or are not getting the respect they need. Who could these people reach out to for help?

I think there's a bit of a sliding scale as to the types of people you can reach out to! Like @Lahna there's places like lifeline and DVCS, or even 000 if you don't feel safe and you need someone there right away to help keep you safe! But there are people closer to you who can offer help too. Family and friends are good sounding boards for problems, and places like the forums are too, all of these people can help you talk through a problem and figure out what to do next! 

Yep, we sure do need respect, @Lahna

You have mentioned some awesome crisis services!

There are so many great things out there today that can help people reach out for help. Obviously the first place to go would be trusted family members and friends. Sometimes this can be hard, but there are plenty of other options. There is the 24/7 helpline 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732) then there are people who have taken advantage of our technological age and developed phone apps. The 2 that I have looked up are available on both operating systems. There is the iMatter which is for all of Australia and there is the Aurora app for NSW.

Do you know of any other awesome apps out there?

Give us a link to the aurora app @stonepixie!

Highlighted

We want to start this chat by making sure we know how to look after ourselves or other people in our lives if something is tougher than what we can talk about on a forum. So our first question focusses on that: Many people may experience tough times around lack of respect. It is important that people are made aware of the supports “out there” if they don't feel safe or are not getting the respect they need. Who could these people reach out to for help?

Well firstly, i'm here on time for once, yay! 

large.gif

I think being able to go to people who do respect you and talking about these issues is pretty important. But I know that a few things stop people from doing that like... 

- Not wanting to bother other people

- It's just too damn hard (and it is) 

- Not wanting other people to know whats going on 

- Wanting to talk to someone seperate and not involved with the people which the lack of respect surrounds. 

So there are a number of proffesional services that I know from personal experience are really great 

1800 RESPECT is the first one that springs to mind. They have an online chat and phone service which both operate 24 hours a day every single day of the year. 

And there is emergency helplines such as KHL and Lifeline which are only a tiny bit less specific to lack of respect but of course can still help with that and many many other things!

Also never hesitate to call 000 either! (unless you're prank calling please don't do that ever)

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Oh that's great @stonepixie, I wasn't aware that there were apps for these kinds of services... but then again there are apps for everything right???

Welcome @j95 ! Nice gif too haha