cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT]: Respect for Yourself and Others

What can you do to show respect for yourself? How could incorporating assertiveness help you be more respectful towards yourself?

Look after yourself and your wellbeing which is a little something we like to call self-care. Smiley Happy Be kind to yourself, build your self-esteem and focus on what you are good at. Be proud of your achievements. No, you are not vain for being proud of how much you have achieved.

By incorporating assertiveness into all of this, it means that you are not double booked when it comes to self-care, that you actually have time specifically for what makes you feel good. It means that you can still be yourself and hopefully avoid burnout! And by taking pride in yourself, it means that you can respect your morals.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Thats a tough one mate @j95

What can you do to show respect for yourself? How could incorporating assertiveness help you be more respectful towards yourself?

Yeah @stonepixie!! You're totally right. Being assertive to create time for your own self care is really important and shows a huge amount of self respect. 

I think I'm in total agreeance of what you've said. For me, I have a tendency to work myself into the ground and face burn out before I know it! I have to have enough self respect to take a break every now and then. I acknowledge my tendency to do this and even started a thread on it called 2 Things you did for YOU today to encourage balanced assertiveness and self lurveeee. <3

Highlighted

Good evening all! Happy to join you in the chat sesh tonight. Smiley Happy

What are some things you need from others to feel respected? This could refer to respect in the workplace, at school, at home with the family, in a relationship, or even when you are out with your friends.

For me personally, self-respect is the first and foremost  attribute I work at developing on a daily basis. So what do I need from others? Well, to be listened to and 'heard'. To have my opinions validated, not necessarily agreed with, but respected. To have my personal space respected, whether i am at work/school/uni/shops or in other places where other people are. 

In a relationship, my partner can show me respect by wanting to be with me, by trusting me, by being honest with me and sharing part of themselves with me without judgement or censure. I respect my partner by caring for them, sharing my body and my life with them, sharing time with friends, being mindful of boundaries, giving them space and time to be an individual, and keeping them safe, keeping their heart safe, sticking up fofr one another.

And when I'm out with my friends, respect is shown by including everyone equally in the group, by making everyone's opinion count, by looking out for each other, and keep each other safe in the group.

In brief, I think respecting someone is: never doing someone over, or letting anyone else do them over. but more than that, respect is honouring and acknowleding them as an individual in their entirety. (hope that makes sense?)

Gee, what a tricky question! I think you have to know yourself and respect yourself and what is important to you to be able to be truly assertive. Because to be assertive you have to know what matters! ..It kind of goes around in circles. 

Getting the hang of respectfulness means that you can create the space you need to have quality of life. So it means you get the things you need and you can be sure that people understand the things you need. Rather than letting other people decide what is okay or isn't okay you're making sure that people understand the things that matter to you and how they can or can't act towards you. 

I'm really having trouble with this one so I'll just have to read all your awesome answers instead

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Welcome @evanescence sounds like you have got a pretty strong grasp on what respect means to you. Smiley Happy

How do you respect yourself?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

It's a toughy @j95! Smiley Happy It could be as simple as taking a 5 minute break and standing in the sun during a busy day. 

That is perfectly okay @j95 sometimes it is hard to know how to have respect for ourselves, perhaps you can pick up on a few hints to incorporate into your life.

hmm well I guess in that case I respect myself by taking time out for me, recognise my achievements and treat myself
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//