cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT]: Respect for Yourself and Others

Welcome @evanescence, you sound like you have a really great interpretation of what respect means to you. Could it also be "not giving up" on yourself or others? Even when things get tough?

Everytime I read your responses @Ben-RO

mindblown

They are so insightful.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Now that we have spoken about how to show respect to ourselves,

How do you show respect to other people?

By acknowledging everyone’s differences and trying to accommodate them, giving everyone the benefit of the doubt when you first meet them. Being flexible about individual choice and participation, allowing people to have their space, communicating about how you feel, but also taking accountability for your own actions. Being culturally sensitive.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

That's a really good starting place @j95, I encourage you to keep doing these kinds of things

I'm in the same boat @stonepixie. I think it's about being accepting of people and trying to understand their point of view, even if you don't fully agree with it.

Hey @Lahna have you ever had a misunderstanding of respect? As in what you thought was respectful, wasn't?

Is that a good head explosion or a bad head explosion @stonepixie?

hkMZSF7.gif

Highlighted

I like your comment @j95 and the point you made about working with others to a mutual agreement.

What does being assertive mean to you, and how do you be assertive when you need to be?

To me, being assertive means speaking up and being able to express your needs and wants. I worked with young kids, and boy they are naturally assertive, and have no qualms asserting their needs and wants. I loved working with their energy! Smiley Happy

I found when I opened up more and expressed my needs - in personal relationships and at work, that I was more likely to get my needs met. I guess assertiveness can be a measure of self-respect, too. 

My goal is to be more assertive than I at times appear. Coming from a background where I was not shown much respect and not encouraged to be assertive, it is very important to me now as an adult, that I am drawn to 'equal' relationships. I have no problem expressing myself in my personal relationships and with my family. I used to withdraw from conflict, but now I think it's much healthier to let everyone have their say and find a middle ground.

I still value respecting my superiors at work, and following the lead - but I have noticed in the past decade that there is a tendency in the business world to favour a more equal workplace than the strict, power-distance work environments of last century. Of course, you still get the Director, or CEO or principal and teachers that you have to defer to, as in family head structure - but I am confident that people are more supported to be valued and listened to, as well as expected to speak up and contribute their talents and strengths to the growth of the organisation/family/partnership.

Incidentally, I love it when I am assertive. It gives me energy! Smiley Tongue I feel proud of myself when I am able to negotiate and defend to correct a wrong say, or just express myself! ...and my friends and family have noticed the difference.

I show respect to other people by 

• Listening to them even if I disagree with what they are saying
  • Treat them how I'd like to be treated and that is in a way that doesn't make me feel upset or hurt
  • If they have higher power than me I respect them by following their instructions or negotiating with them about what I can and can't do.
  • Following personal boundaries such not touching them or their belongings without asking
  • Knowing my limits and being able to walk away from a situation so that things can calm down and I don't say harmful things or get angry at them in the heat of the moment. This is a big one for me. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

A good one! @Ben-RO