cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT]: Respect for Yourself and Others

Hey @j95 it is so great to have you here! You have mentioned some excellent resources Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Hey @j95! Woohoo can't wait to chat to you Smiley Happy 

You raise some really really good points! I agree, it could be really difficult to seek help in a tricky situation where there isn't much respect. Do you think there is a point where you have to put yourself first though, even though others might find out about it? Close friends might be easier to open up to? 

Here is the app you asked for @Ben-RO! It is just the gov website so I don't have to link in 2!

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Hmm I really like your points for reasons why people don't act sometimes @j95 especially that it's too damn hard! Being dis-respected can take a lot of energy, the conflict is draining and so knowing you have to spend more energy to resolve it can be the last thing you want to do! 

@Lahna I think a lot of people feel ashamed about it, even if they don't do anything wrong so that feeling makes it that much harder to open up

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

This brings me to the next question of our GR tonight! Smiley Happy We all need to respect ourselves enough to speak up when we really need it but.........

What are some things you need from others to feel respected? This could refer to respect in the workplace, at school, at home with the family, in a relationship, or even when you are out with your friends.

Exactly @Ben-RO it can feel like resolving it is just another thing to deal with on top of what is already happening
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@j95 it is so true. And then there is the stigma around it. Smiley Sad Why do you think people are ashamed of it?

That's true @j95. It's sad that it can have that effect and I really hope those people can cultivate the courage they need to let someone know. And if in doubt- we are here to help at RO. 

What are some things you need from others to feel respected? This could refer to respect in the workplace, at school, at home with the family, in a relationship, or even when you are out with your friends.

For me to feel respected, I need to feel like I am being listened to. That is my number one thing, well that and respect for my personal canoe (read bubble). I need to feel safe, people to be honest with me, to be supported, people to be accepting of me as I am. Also, there needs to be trust and accountability. So for me, that means that respect is given, not earned as it comes from benefit of the doubt.