cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT]: Respect for Yourself and Others

What are some things you need from others to feel respected? This could refer to respect in the workplace, at school, at home with the family, in a relationship, or even when you are out with your friends.

I suppose then @j95@Ben-RO@stonepixie what we really need from others in a situation which is really tricky like we have previously discussed is support, and care when we need it most. As well as trust, honesty, integrity and understanding. (I suppose I'm alluding to friends showing these qualities to help us through tough times). 

In terms of respect from a relationship, I still think all of these qualities are neccesary. 

What are some things you need from others to feel respected? This could refer to respect in the workplace, at school, at home with the family, in a relationship, or even when you are out with your friends.

In all cases, no matter where you are you need to 

• Feel safe
  • Feel valued
  • Have your rights acknowledged and followed
  • Be listened to and feel like you can speak up if something isn't right and not be harmed if you do. 
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Thats a fantastic take on it @stonepixie. I never thought of that! But now that you mention it, having someone simply listening means so much. I can think of plenty of times where I just needed someone there to listen to me, without interrupting. It's so encouraging and selfless.

Awesome answers @j95 and @Lahna do you thing respect is earnt or given?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Wow all of these are so important! What makes you feel valued @j95? Smiley Happy

For me at least, it's as much about what is not happening as what is happening. 

In terms of things that should happen:

I need to be heard, I need to be understood and if something is a problem i need to see that something has changed in the way a person behaves towards me after i have talked about what needs to be different. Even if sometimes that might mean ending a conversation or contact with someone. 

In terms of things that should not happen: 

People should not be aggresive towards me. People should not make me feel unsafe.  If i say something is not okay, whatever that is shouldn't happen. 

People might be ashamed of it @stonepixie because they may feel it makes them look weak for not being able to stand up for themselves or stay safe, even though it may not be their fault at all.

@Lahna It is sad and pretty awful that a lot people are told not to seek help or things will get worse in the relationship.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

I believe that respect is recipricated Smiley Happy I think it's given based on how much you respect the other person. It can be really hard to respect someone if they don't show you any respect... And my mumma always said:

"Treat others as you would like to be treated." 

I agree @Ben-RO.. a No is a no!

It is one of the best feelings in the world @Lahna and is probably when I feel most disrespected. Of course then I assert myself especially if that person means something to me, which leads us straight into the next question ...

What does being assertive mean to you, and how do you be assertive when you need to be?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ