cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Sensory Overload

Heya all! Apologies for the lateness Smiley Happy

We have five main senses that see and hear and touch and smell and taste and for most people, but for some people, it can be a pain in the butt. Take a look at this awesome gif,

Justice League Trailer GIF

And imagine that instead of Aquaman, it's your senses (say smell), and instead of water, it's a strong scent, or a lot of smells. That's (a very simplified explanation of) sensory overload. 

Of course, it's not the same for everyone, but the basically it's when sounds or smells or light (etc.) become too much to handle. It can come from sensory processing issues. Usually, the brain can tune out excess noise or smells but sometimes it doesn't and it becomes difficult to process all the sensory information that's coming in. (That's the official description) This can make it difficult to do even daily tasks.

So join us today, Monday 22nd Jan at 7:30pm (AEDT/Sydney time) for a chat about sensory overload Smiley Happy

Here's a parting gift

Cmovies GIF

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Re: [CHAT] Sensory Overload

Hey everyone and welcome to our chat about sensory overload! 

british bake off dough overload GIF by BBC

If at all you find this conversation distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone, about an issue then it's time to get some help! You can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. The links can be found here. If you are new here then welcome! Have a quick peek at our community guidelines you can find them here!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Question number one! Smiley Happy

What do you think sensory overload is?

Is it when you are in a situation and your senses become heightened and so you hear everything a bit louder and everything seems a bit more (don’t know a better word to describe it but...) intense?

@N1ghtW1ng My guess would be this is when physical senses i.e. sight/smell can overwhelm a person so much it impairs their functioning Smiley Happy Keen to learn more.

Heya @Iceream1 and @Bree-RO and welcome Smiley Happy Thanks for joining in Smiley Very Happy

Pretty much yes. The senses don't become heightened exactly, but noises/smells/etc. come in feeling more intesnse (which is a perfect word to describe it Smiley Very Happy)

Hey everyone 🙂

Great answer @Icecream1

To me sensory overload is when I become overwhelmed by my senses - sight, smell, taste, hear, touch, and find it difficult to kanage in the current situation and needing to take some time out

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

From researching, a reason why it happens is because of a thing called sensory processing issues (sometimes called sensory processing disorder) where the brain can't prioritise all the information coming in and thinks it's all important. (does that make sense?)

Hi
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@N1ghtW1ng I think sensory overload is when it becomes difficult for a person to process sounds, smells, textures etc
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//