cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Social Networking Sites

oh my I totally forgot about PINTEREST!!!!!! @DruidChild! Smiley Very Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

2. Why do/don't you have social networking sites?

Heyy - popping in for a while while my dinner cooks. No promises I'll be able to last the whole session since I'm knackered to heck, so I might crash right after I get my food, but I'll give it a shot Smiley Happy

1. Do you use social networking sites? How often? (which ones?)

Yes! Though I tend to keep my usage limited to Facebook and Quora (and the forums, naturally), and my usage of FB is usually restricted to things like messaging and a few small groups dedicated for organizing specific things (e.g. uni assignment groups, etc.). Quora's more of a news outlet that I just like to read for interesting little tidbits once in a while, though I do answer the occasional question. 

Usage tends to vary based on how many thumb notifications I'm getting, hahaha. Some days/weeks if I'm really busy/concerned with other stuff I'll ignore both completely, other times if I'm bored I might use them several times a day.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, I also have an Instagram, but I've updated that like, once in the past 2 years, so I'm not entirely sure it counts at this point, hahaha.

I used them for different things so RO is pretty self-explanatory Smiley Tongue
Facebook keeping in contact with people and stuff, photography how tos and advice from different photography groups, find funny content from random pages.

Facebook messenger is usually how I talk to a lot of people
Instagram is mostly for my photography Smiley Happy I share my pictures there, I get a better response then facebook. I do have a private account but I don't use it.

Pinterest I use for anything and everything Smiley Tongue I get ideas for photography, colouring in pages, colouring in techniques

Hi @Asche welcome! Nice to see you over here Smiley Tongue Smiley Happy

Q2. I really only have it because  facebook is the norm and thats how most people contact me. 

And well RO is self explanatory. 

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

4. What are some positives & negatives of social networking sites / having a profile?

FB: Honestly, it's 90% an email inbox at this point. I post on my wall around...once a year, if I'm feeling particularly active, and even then it's usually a repost of something else - an interesting article I think my friends will like, news about a new mental health program being rolled out, etc. I stopped using the wall for actual status posts a while ago because a) I like my privacy b) a lot of my wall posts in my earlier fb years were super cringeworthy and I wince internally just from remembering them. Maybe they were okay at the time, but there's not a whole lot of content out there that I think I'd be happy to have stay attached to my name 10 years later. So in the interests of not embarrassing my future self, I just don't do it anymore. :/ 

The rest of the time, Facebook messenger is just an easy way to stay in touch with friends that isn't quite as formal (or slow) as email. Plus, it's handy for getting/keeping in touch with people you've just met, since odds are that you're both on Facebook, and not everyone likes handing out their phone/emails willy-nilly. Also for organizing groups and stuff. Basically, it's just useful because other people are on it.

Quora: Because there's a lot of really interesting stuff out there! You have professors explaining how quantum physics works (in a way regular people can actually understand), journalists giving their assessment of world news, economists posting ideas about trade deals...it's just neat. I wouldn't use it as a premium news source since there's obviously room for a tonne of bias, but it makes for great reading material if you have 5 minutes to spare on your commute.

@Bee does it even count as social media though??? I'm not sure. Smiley Tongue Oh yeah and I forgot RO (obviously) and also fanfiction sites like Ao3 and Fanfiction.com

Why do you/don't you have social media sites? 

I have Facebook for the same reason as @scared01, it's just the norm so it was the easiest way to communicate with friends. I use tumblr and Pinterest to help me find things related to my interests and identity. And I literally only made a twitter account so I could tweet Stephanie Beatriz fanmail Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

Q3 (or 4?) I cant really think of positives and negatives atm 

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**