cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Social Networking Sites

@Asche makes some good points, especially where it comes to looking back at old posts, how cringe worthy they can be! Also about the privacy side of things!

@DruidChild absolutely Smiley Tongue Did you know you can even chat with Pinterest?

(Sorry I dropped out for a bit my net crashed)

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

I love pintrest @DruidChild@Beebut i didnt know you could chat on it

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

4. What are some positives & negatives of social networking sites / having a profile?

Positives
Keep in contact with people

Share your opinion, art, photography, talent

Find helpful resources/opinions of others in similar interests/talents 

Negative

Can be a platform for bullying

Can feel overwhelming to always be connected

Can feel lonely as people only post the highlights of their life

Great points @Bee

absolutely @scared01 on desktop there is a chat icon next to your profile image, on mobile its the same chat icon and you can switch between notifications and chat Smiley Happy

Wow never knew that! @Bee

4. Have you ever taken a break from social networking sites? How was it?​​​​​​​

Highlighted

4. What are some positives & negatives of social networking sites / having a profile?

Positives:

I mean, it's just useful. Just about everyone is on Facebook, so it's easy to use if you need to get a bunch of people together to organize an event/assignment/party etc., and it's handy to keep in touch with people you might not see face to face all that often.

Plus, FB Messenger is free, and texts are not.

Negatives:

I'm sure this is on everyone's mind, but privacy! Even if you have your settings set to "Friends only" or "Friends of Friends", everything you post to your profile is automatically hundreds of times more public than anything you might say in ordinary conversation. Just imagine coming out as a Melbourne Storm fan when 80% of your friends list are Rooster supporters. (FOR THE RECORD, I DON'T, IT'S JUST AN EXAMPLE NOBODY LYNCH ME PLEASE.) And less harmlessly, you have to realize that FB gives away information that can be a good deal more sensitive than footy preferences as well - random people can figure out your birthday, where you grew up, even your mobile and email if you have that still attached to Facebook. (Also your bank account details if you've ever had to share it because you're organizing a paid event and wanted people to netbank you some cash.) I try not to be overly paranoid about hackers and identity theft, and there's prooobably not enough information there for someone to hack into your bank account, but it's a start. It's just not worth exposing yourself like that.

And again, everything that's on there is public pretty much forever, which means that your boss/coworkers (and eep, parents), might find stuff on there that you never wanted them to, like the fact that used to dress up as a Pokemon when you were 11, or threw up the first time you had a drink, or that you're regretting undercooking your steak last night while clutching onto the toilet for dear life. Share it with friends, sure. But that's what Messenger is for.

Q4. Yes i have. I was in hospital  at the time though and no external sources like phones or computers- thing with a camera. So mot internet for a week. The tv was on but not very often so disnt even see the news headlines etc. 

It was actuslly really good but i wouldnt be able to take  a break otherwise. Too many things to deal with

amazing points @Asche!!! Privacy is a huge point. Especially with accounts and personal information!

4. Have you ever taken a break from social networking sites? How was it?​​​​​​​
I have but I haven't. I've limited my use to very select sites/ amount of time when I've been feeling down, but I've never really gone off the grid and not responded or not been able to be contacted type of thing. I'm just always kind of there Smiley Tongue Although my phone does this thing where sometimes it won't actually tell me when there's a notification or whatever so I don't see them straight away and I get soooo engrossed in things! Like I can spend about 4 hours on RO and not even notice it's been 4 hours! I'm the same with photography and colouring in, all sense of time just escapes my head Smiley Tongue