cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Spring is Sprung! Spring cleaning for your brain.

Ah September, the beginning of spring. The sunshine is starting to come back, the

weather is warming up, and flowers are in bloom… You know how that sounds to

me? No, not like the beginning of the end for all of us fellow allergy sufferers, it

sounds like a pretty good time for some optimism!

SpongeBob GR.jpg

Now most of us know that optimism is about having a generally positive outlook

on life, which when you say it like that sounds like a bit of a no-brainer that we

should all have a bit of it in our lives. Unfortunately, sometimes it can be pretty

difficult to be optimistic about things, maybe because there are bad or stressful

things going on for us or there are people around us who don’t make us feel good

about ourselves. Having moments in life where you feel sad, angry or worried

are totally valid and healthy things to experience, but they can become an issue

when they take over how you view the world.

Captain Optimism GR.jpg

In a world that in many ways in becoming increasingly cynical, some people even

think that being optimistic is a bad thing! These people say that being optimistic

isn’t realistic and that by trying to look at the positives we ignore the bad things

that are happening in the world. I agree that we can’t walk around happy and

smiling all the time, pretending that the negative things we feel and experience

aren’t there.

A little bit of optimism can go a long way though. Working to change our

thought patterns to be more positive through things like self-talk can be hugely

beneficial, especially for people experiencing mental health issues like

depression and anxiety.

Optimist Prime.jpg

Who's winning in your head, Optimist prime or Negatron? Want to learn a bit more about optimism and how we can have more of it in our everyday lives?  Awesome!!!

Come and join us at 8pm AEST on Monday the 14th September where we’ll chat about positive thinking and what it can do for our

mental health.

Re: [CHAT] Spring is Sprung! Spring cleaning for your brain.

Hi everyone!

Tonight we are going to be chatting about OPTIMISM! This is a really interesting topic because for some people optimism might come naturally, and for some it might be a little bit harder - or you may only feel optimistic about certain things! So I can't wait to see what you think about our chat tonight and i'm hoping you all get involved in answering the questions we have for you Cat Tongue

optimistic_o_1624793.jpg

The chat tonight will be moderated by me (lanejane) and @bessie94. We’d like you to remember to have a read of the community guidelines before starting and remember that if you feel at any point like you need to take a break or talk to someone we have a section for emergency help.

Our first question for tonight is:
1. We’ve all heard the phrase “a glass half full” before when talking about optimism, but that doesn’t cover all of what it can be. What does optimism mean to you?

lanejane

I see the glass as half full of air and half full of water. Like... the way things are, not too bad or too good. I think you can be too optimistic as much as you can be too pessimistic. You got to see it just the way it is. 

Optimism to me is about having a little bit of hope when things are going bad! You don't have to be compeltely "glass half full"... it's about just having a little bit of hope that things can go okay Smiley Happy

lanejane

Love the picture @lanejane!

Hey everyone I am excited to chat tonight about optimism. optimism doesn't always mean a glass half full. Sometimes it is just about having a brighter perspective about things in your own life!

Optimism to me is always maintaining a sense of hope, no matter what the situation, and be able to find some small joy in every day, no matter how difficult it may be. It can be tricky at times though!

Hi lanejane, nice topic!
For me, optimistic and pesimistic is the quality of our thoughts. Things are neither positive nor negative as such, only our attitude towards them has this polarity.

@Derpington good one!

your response reminds me of this pic:

index.jpg

lanejane

welcome @Cheeselover85 & @Sveto

i don't think i have met you guys so i am EVEN MORE PUMPED that you are with us tonight for this chat.

YAY

lanejane

A glass half full of water is just that and nothing else.