cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Tackling mental health stigma in everyday life

@lanejane Aw damn D: That sucks. People also do forget that MH stigma can be found in all kinds of places, particularly the workplace or in higher educaiton. How did you find out that it was because of your history? 

@dreamcatcher Lol, glad you love my answer and not a supporter of stigma!

Looooking good guys!

Next up: Can you think of a time that stigma has prevented you or a friend from reaching out?

In no way am I saying stigma is good for anyone, women or men but its so so hard being a young male with mental health issues. Just the idea of oh what would all my mates at footy say if I saw a psychologist, like Im not ashamed - its something I have to do, but some people make me feel like I should be ashamed of it.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Almost like im not strong enough or something

@j95 Yup, definitely. Can totally emphathise with that - particularly when you tell someone and they give you blank stare, then

"Oh, oh...."But you should never feel ashamed of it! It's just awesome that you're taking that step!

totally j95, i can see that for guys it must be tough... so much pressure.. it is societies stigma that brings that shame, and we have to fight against it! so unfair! and leads to so many more problems...
Highlighted

@Myvo it is seen as weak or that you're a "pussy"
not manly enough or some crap.

"Can you think of a time that stigma has prevented you or a friend from reaching out?"

I remember in school it was seen as so embarrassing if you went to see the school counsellor that so many people would never go.

Can you think of a time that stigma has prevented you or a friend from reaching out?

> One of my close friends kept quiet about her mental illness for sometime, until I helped her out with an application for uni. Stigma comes in many forms, and cultural stigma is one of them. In our cultural background, if you have MH issues - you're pretty much seen as "the bad egg" Smiley Frustrated Your mental illness is seen as contagious and that you should "just get over yourseld and stop being silly/stupid". In the past, even with some education and awareness, you can tell that they're still not very receptive to the facts. Smiley Indifferent

Can you think of a time that stigma has prevented you or a friend from reaching out?

It has stopped me at uni sometimes, 'cause I feel like people will tell me (or think) that I shouldn't be pursuing the career that I am if I have a mental illness and can't cope. I have had some wonderful support at uni but one lecturer recently basically flat out told me that she didn't think I would cope as a new grad, and that was related to some mental health symptoms I was feeling at the time and it just reaffirmed for me why I keep my mental health issues to myself, so I don't have to come up against attitudes like that. Like I admit that the way I was at the time wouldn't be great for me at work, but as long as I am prepared for that and try to manage it, how is it anyone else's business? I'm getting my rage on now Smiley Indifferent lol