cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Tackling mental health stigma in everyday life

Hey there @lanejane ! Interesting point about the 'completely better forever' comment. I have read heaps of articles and stories (and also know from my friends' experiences) that even though recovery is very possible, for some people it never 100% goes away (like there's still a little voice or even habits that creep back, depends on the illness, I guess)
Although, I do believe that some people are lucky enough to rid of a mental illness once and for all, what do you think?

Alrighty! Time for the answers!

"Only certain people are prone to get a mental illness"

> Myth! Anyone can develop a mental illness. 

"Mental health issues are common"

> Fact! 1 in 4 young people experience a MH issue. 

"Most people who have a mental illness will recover"

> Fact! Most mental illnesses can be treated effectively and most people who experience mental illness recover. 

"Depression is the most common mental illness among young people in Australia"

> Myth! Anxiety disorders are the most common, affecting 15% of young people, followed by Substance Use disorders at 13%. Around 6% of young people had an Affective disorder with Bipolar Affective Disorder and Depression (3% each) the most common Affective disorders.

Yea i think for a lot of people recovery from depression and anxiety is totally possible.. and maybe not about luck, but hard work!

There should be a page about mental health stigma on the RO website Smiley Happy

What it is

Facts

How we can stop it

Bet we could come up with some great stuff!

lanejane

Hmm that's interesting. I seem to be the only one here saying that not everyone will recover from mental illness.

I think the keywords for me were "will" and "recover".

I interpreted "recover" as being 100% totally cured, which I think is a lot less common than people think. If anything, I think some people hide their feelings more to avoid the stigma.

But, if we're talking about "recover" as "lead a normal life" I think many people can.

And that's the keyword for me: "will". If it was "can" then I would say, yes, definitely most people *can* "recover" (depending on how you want to interpret that word). But most people right now don't because mental health problems are so stigmatised and they don't get the proper support and care that they need.

"Only certain people are prone to get a mental illness" Myth, alllllll kinds of people are prone! All ages, races, genders, etc, etc. Literally can affect anyone at anytime
"Mental health issues are common" I think there is a bit of truth in that. They're a lot more common than I think the average person would assume! As many as 1 in 4 people can suffer from depression and anxiety. That's quite a lot!!!
"Most people who have a mental illness will recover" Fact, with the right treatment, most cases are able to recover. 
"Depression is the most common mental illness among young people in Australia" Myth, I have a feeling anxiety would be a lot more common.

I'm so surprised about that depression is on 3% and anxiety is 16%. 3% of the entire population of young people is still a lot though.. and 16% is huge!

Hey @Lex it's definitely true some people will not recover from mental illness. but most will.

@lanejane I agree with the "getting completely better forever" jive. It really does depend on your experiences and that sometimes, some people do need ongoing support. There's not a 'one size fits all' when it comes to mental health

Hi all Smiley Happy

I'm not sure. I think so. I think depression is more common in males, while anxiety disorders are more common in females.

Those were hard, and I like to think I know quite a bit about mental health!