cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Tackling mental health stigma in everyday life

@dreamcatcher yep! pretty much my point.

personally i think recovery means different things to different people sometimes.

i wouldn't say that most people with mental illness "recover" and then never have mental health issues ever again (although some might!) ... i would say that people with mental illness are able to go on to lead positive lives once they learn how to manage the symptomns and find out what works best for them. this to them can still be "recovery" though Smiley Happy

if that makes any sense...

like you don't have to see a mental illness as always something you need to "recover" completely from? you know? you can just recover from the really hard parts (like feeling suicidal) and then go back to a positive lifestyle. i dunno - it makes sense in my head anyway Smiley Happy

lanejane

Welcome @delicatedreamer  Smiley Happy Glad you could be here! I think the last one was quite difficult too, it actually suprised me to see that 16% of people will suffer from anxiety though

Hey guys!! Cant stay for long, waiting for housemates and yas to come home, would pop in while im not doing anything
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Alrighty, next question!

2. What is stigma and how does it relate to mental health? How does stigma affect people on a personal level?

I believe that stigma is excluding someone out of fear; particularly fear of the unknown. It relates to mental health as some people have misconceptions about mental illness and that those who do have MH issues are under great duress to hide it.  Stigma is so crap that it can make a person feel worse and that can lead to them not seeking out the support they need. 

Hey @j95 ! No worries! Thanks for joining us here tonight!

hmmm hmm hmmm

@Myvo mental health stigma has had a massive impact on my life in relation to work. i had an application denied somewhere after i declared my mental health history! i think it's so important we actively work to reduce it and educate people on the facts! so thanks for the answers to those questions! Cat Happy

lanejane

@Myvo wrote:

I believe that stigma is excluding someone out of fear; particularly fear of the unknown. It relates to mental health as some people have misconceptions about mental illness and that those who do have MH issues are under great duress to hide it.  Stigma is so crap that it can make a person feel worse and that can lead to them not seeking out the support they need. 

Love it!! (your answer, not stigma haha)

stigma is about a negative label put on anyone with a mental illness, its about stereotypes, prejudice and even discrimination... it can affect us on a personal level by name calling, stopping us realising what is wrong, stopping us talking about it or getting help because we're ashamed

that's so crap @lanejane !!

I agree with Myvo, I think stigma is excluding someone out fear or labelling/treating them negatively based on a personal characteristic or experience they've had. With mental health, stigma affects how a person with a mental illness is treated and viewed by the community, and can affect things like job prospects if their mental illness is disclosed. On a personal level I think it makes people want to hide their illness for fear of a negative reaction (that's how I feel anyway), and I agree with Myvo that it can stop people seeking support. I also think that mental health stigma in the community leads people to self-stigmatise (I feel like I do this to myself).