cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Tackling mental health stigma in everyday life

In one of my high schools the door to the counsellors office was right outside a block of classrooms - everyone found out of you went there and everyone would be talking behind your back. Its stigma that created the idea of going to a counsellor a bad thing.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Can you think of a time that stigma has prevented you or a friend from reaching out?

Coming from a small town, getting help was not only seen as a weakness, but somehow, everyone found out. I don't know how, but it really did prevent myself and my friends from reaching out.

I reeeeaaaaaally hate that mental illnesses are seen as a weakness. I think that's why a lot of farmers out here don't seek help, they think they're just being weak. Smiley Sad 

@delicatedreamer Remember to take some time out and do some self-care. I agree that people don't realise that if you have MH issues, it doesn't mean that you can't manage them or complete certain tasks. I think that as long as you have supportive people in your life and believe in your capabilities - it's all good Smiley Happy

Next question!

4. What can you do in your everyday life (such as in schools, universities and workplaces) to make our communities more inclusive? 

And I never went because I was worried what people would think (part of the reason)
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Heya guys!

Sorry I am late to the convo, but as the saying goes, better late than never!

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

"Only certain people are prone to get a mental illness" Myth

"Mental health issues are common" Fact

"Most people who have a mental illness will recover" Fact, but it does matter on how you interpret the question like @Lex said. Also depends upon what one would describe as recovered. I remember in one of my sessions with my psych and how she mentioned that people interpret it different in that some people who have a small improvement in their lives consider themselves recovered where as others want to be free of poor mental health.

"Depression is the most common mental illness among young people in Australia" Not too sure on this one as I’ve always heard of depression and anxiety being the most common.

What is stigma and how does it relate to mental health? How does stigma affect people on a personal level?

Stigma is when people perceive something as negative or non-existent. So some people may see mentally ill people as extremely dangerous or weak whilst others think of them as attention seeking people who are making up an excuse for things. For me, I was too afraid to tell anyone at first when I was diagnosed. I have lost many friends (for the better) over telling them of my illness. I even stigmatise myself as I’m always worried about how people will react to me telling them and that I’m just making things up. It can split up families and bring a whole new level of difficulty to a person’s life. I also fear that my diagnosis has left me less employable in some people’s eyes.
I’ve had so much trouble with my uni in that it doesn’t really have a support system that is friendly to those who have been down with poor mental health. If you’re not enrolled in subjects, they want nothing to do with you. It’s a bit hard when the reason why you are after their support and help is because you are having trouble being cleared to enrol.

Can you think of a time that stigma has prevented you or a friend from reaching out?
I know of a few people who refuse to talk to counsellors in fear that people will think less of them. It took me quite a while to accept that despite what people think, I really need to reach out for help. My mum noticed long before me that I needed help, but she did nothing about it not because she didn’t know what to do about it (my dad suffers as well) but because she was afraid of what people would say.
I also remember how it was considered a bad thing if you needed to go and see the counsellor at school or needed to be on a blue book (monitors how you are coping in class).

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

True, better late then never @stonepixie !! Smiley Tongue Welcome

What can you do in your everyday life (such as in schools, universities and workplaces) to make our communities more inclusive?

More education! Speak out. Don't let the haters get you down.

Have community awareness days, more campaigns on it.