cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Tackling mental health stigma in everyday life

What can you do in your everyday life (such as in schools, universities and workplaces) to make our communities more inclusive? 

Just challenge stigma when you encounter it in the workplace, and support awareness raising events like mental health week!! And also let people know that it is okay to seek help Smiley Happy

I didn't recognise you @j95 with the change of avatar. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@stonepixie wrote:

More education! Speak out. Don't let the haters get you down.

I think that education is a HUUUUUUUGGGGGEEE thing. I think a greater understanding of mental illnesses will help fo sho. 

Needed a change @stonepixie

r u ok day is good but srsly once a year for a day like that come on
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Dont pretend to agree with things you dont agree with, like laughing at a snide comment or joke, shut the person up by ignoring it or letting them know its not ok

Neeeeeeexxxxxxt Question: 

In thinking about challenging stigma, What advice would you give to someone who has just found out that a friend/loved one has a mental illness?

My advice would be to educate yourself as much as possible so you are going into any convo with your loved one with proper facts and info, not stereotypes and myths... Focus on listening, not talking. Be respectful and non-judgemental!!! Ask them how you can help, don't assume what they need!

Ok guys heading off! Thanks all

@chandelier  I really like the point you make about 'not assuming that you know what they need'. There is nothing more off putting than having someone force help on you (especially if you're not ready for it!)

Thanks for stoppin by, @j95  Smiley Happy