cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Tackling mental health stigma in everyday life

In thinking about challenging stigma, What advice would you give to someone who has just found out that a friend/loved one has a mental illness?

Educate yourself about their illness, and when talking to them make sure you listen to them and ask them what they need! Don't assume. And try to have an honest conversation with them about it too. I never talk to my best friend about my mental health because I don't know what she is thinking about it and I wish she would be honest about it. And seek support for yourself too if you feel like you need it! That's something I wish I'd done when supporting a friend with a mental illness.

What advice would you give to someone who has just found out that a friend/loved one has a mental illness? I think the single most important thing you can do, in my mind, is to just let the person know you're there for them. Knowing someone cares about you can really help, even if you don't want them to do anything special. You don't have to force help and stratergies on them, like I said before, just asking if they need anything and let 'em know you care 

Awesome answers, guys! Smiley Very Happy

Next Q!

6. The media play an important role in reducing or increasing stigma! What can you do if you see something in the media that plays into stereotypes and stigma?

Yea I'm a bit the same delicatedreamer, I never talk to my best friend about my mental health? Have you ever thought about what you want to happen differently?

Be as supportive as possible. Educate, educate, educate! There is plenty of stuff online!

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

The media play an important role in reducing or increasing stigma! What can you do if you see something in the media that plays into stereotypes and stigma?

I'm pretty sure you can complain to somewhere about it... I think SANE Australia handle complaints about the reportage of mental health related issues? I think that you might be able to complain to ACMA (the Australian communication and media authority). You can also complain to the station by calling them up or emailing - or call it out on social media.

I guess when it comes to newspapers or even online news outlets you can write a letter to the editor, and then there is always media watch! And the advertising standards bureau? I just did a quick search and found these guidelines for media, you can highlight them in any letters you write http://www.mindframe-media.info/for-media

Let them know that you aren't impressed with the media about what they reported. If it is in a newspaper, write a letter to the editor. If it is a tv program, write about it on their fb page as other people are likely to think the same thing. Or just have a rant about it on your fb page. Contact the station on which it appeared on and remind them of the anti-discrimination laws.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@delicatedreamer wrote:

The media play an important role in reducing or increasing stigma! What can you do if you see something in the media that plays into stereotypes and stigma?

I'm pretty sure you can complain to somewhere about it... I think SANE Australia handle complaints about the reportage of mental health related issues? I think that you might be able to complain to ACMA (the Australian communication and media authority). You can also complain to the station by calling them up or emailing - or call it out on social media.

Yes! I just looked it up, you can make a report here: http://www.sane.org/stigmawatch/report-a-media-item

@chandelier wrote:
Yea I'm a bit the same delicatedreamer, I never talk to my best friend about my mental health? Have you ever thought about what you want to happen differently?

@That's a tough one @chandelier, I don't really know. I think I would like her to ASK how things are going for me re: my mental health. She never, ever asks. And when I do mention anything about it she sort of just glosses over it. I don't want to have big conversation about it, I just want to know that she cares and is interested in how I am going. What about you?