cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Tackling mental health stigma in everyday life

Next Question:

yea delicatedreamer, i think it's the same.. like i can tell that she brushes over things and it's what she doesn't say that makes me feel like a shouldn't talk about it too. It would be nice if she asks but then i worry that it's my silence that makes her not ask??? i dont really know...

argh thats so hard... in the past when i have tried to say something people tell me to lighten up!! But i think it's important, to try and in a casual way say "hey using that word isn't ok, maybe use something else instead"... but pick your battles obviously, its not going to be right in every situation and only do it where safe to do so..

If someone was using those words around you, what would you do? How can you let someone know that those words are not cool in a way that they'll listen to (and not get defensive)?

I'd probably ignore them. I find that people say stupid stuff and don't really put much thought into it.... BUT if they were saying it in a way that was actually aimed at insulting either myself or any other person, I'd calmly be like 'whoa man. that's not cool' (depending on the context it could be a little more enforceable haha)

Words like nutter, schizo, crazy and psycho can be offensive and hurtful. If someone was using those words around you, what would you do? How can you let someone know that those words are not cool in a way that they'll listen to (and not get defensive)?

> I think that actions are sometimes stronger than words. Glaring or frowning may not be a great option but sometimes, that can really give someone a message how that's not ok. Questioning them about whether using those words are necessary can also be disarming for them too. 

To me it depends on the context they are used it. Most of the time I don't have a problem with it, but when they have crossed the line, I just give them my evillest death stare that I have. I've been told that it is quite deadly.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

9. What's one thing you can do this week in your life to reduce the stigma against mental health?

> Having this conversation Smiley Happy It has been fantastic learning about other people's perspectives. 

Yeah I know what you mean, I feel exactly the same @chandelier.

Words like nutter, schizo, crazy and psycho can be offensive and hurtful. If someone was using those words around you, what would you do? How can you let someone know that those words are not cool in a way that they'll listen to (and not get defensive)?

I have kids throwing out words like this all the time at work and I find it so frustrating. I just sit down with them and tell them that I don't like the word and explain why (in a kid friendly way). I don't think that they always take me seriously, but I think that if I am consistent and continue to have conversations with them about it they'll begin to understand and change their language.

What's one thing you can do this week in your life to reduce the stigma against mental health?

Promote mental health week (due next week!) and call out mental health stigma when I see it.

Thanks for a great chat all. And big thanks @Myvo and @dreamcatcher for facilitating. Good night! Smiley Happy 

What's one thing you can do this week in your life to reduce the stigma against mental health?

Um... I'm going to keep my eye on the media and make any reports to SANE...